Unknown Device Problem

Thread: Unknown Device Problem

Unhappy Unknown Device Problem

Past couple of months I used "Billionton Bluetooth Class 1 USB" and "Intel WebCam CS330 USB" in Windows XP SP2 without any problem. But few days ago I had to reinstall the Windows.

Now whenever I plug in any of these USB devices it automatically installs them as "Unknown Device"s.

I try to install the drivers thorugh "Update Driver" process with manual selection as well as automatic selection. The drivers are not recognized.

I went through REGISTRY and saw that these devices are mapped as "Unknown Device"s.

I tried to delete these values but can't succeed.

Could any one help me about how can I delete these values. I used regedit.exe

OR

How can I install a Device Driver Forcefully in Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance.

** I tested these devices on Win98SE in the same PC, work fine.
    Last edited by shafin; January 29th, 2005 at 04:11 PM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Is the original service pack 2, or service pack one? Re-install service pack 2. I think that will fix it. Also make sure your motherboard drivers are installed, if this is not a name brand, (Compaq, HP, system.)
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Is the original service pack 2, or service pack one? Re-install service pack 2. I think that will fix it. Also make sure your motherboard drivers are installed, if this is not a name brand, (Compaq, HP, system.)

Well, re-installing the service pack 2 doesn't work. I don't think here motherboard is the problem, cause it ran well in previouse WinXP.SP2 with same configuration and still run in Win98SE.

I think to slove this problem I need to re-install the windows again

Or

I need to forcefully install the device driver.

Anyway thanks.
    Last edited by shafin; January 29th, 2005 at 04:12 PM.

Did the hardware come with some software? You should reinstall that first if you're having issues.

Well I had tried this before I posted this topic.

I have done deleting the mapped registry as far as I know. (It was Permission Error !Silly me!)

But still mapped as Unknown Device and creates same mapped registry whenevery I plug the devices.

Does any one know where Windows XP actually writes these registry mapping entries device ID & vendor ID as USB plug -in ID ????
    Last edited by shafin; January 30th, 2005 at 09:05 AM.

Hi there,

I have the same problem. I just got myself a Transcend PCMCIA USB 2.0 Cardbus (uses NEC chipset as well...a bugger) that comes with 2 USB2 ports. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite 2410 notebook running a 1.8Ghz P4-M on Windows XP Home SP2. Been trying to connect my USB LG DVDRAM drive but it always shows up as Unknown Device in Device Manager. If i plug it into my built in USB1.1 ports that came with my notebook, it would work fine and it even prompts me to connect it to a higher performing port!

However, once i plug it into the ports of the PCMCIA card, it'll have a warning saying USB Device Not Recognized and it may have malfunctioned and hence windows cant detect it.

I know it's a bother and i cant understand y it can't be handled by microsoft to address the issue since a simple search online would bring up so many ppl facing the same problem!! I've tried bypassing the Standard EHCI Host controller... but it doesnt work.

Need help urgently here...hope u guys can help out! thanks! Whoever's been through this scenario and managed to fix it....do give me ur input! thanks a bunch!

LATEST DEVELOPMENT!

I did a search through Windrivers forum to see if anyone has highlighted the same problem as mine. The closest match i could find was this:-

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=68276

Numerous others also seem to have the problem of windows not recognizing their devices in PCMCIA cards with USB2.0 ports but have no problem working in USB1.1 ports. I followed richard's advice and roll-back to SP1 by uninstalling my SP2 (properly)

However, after a bunch of new device detected msgs...etc..etc.... we're back to square one. Windows can detect my DVDRAM drive using the built-in 1.1 ports but list "unknown device" when its connected to the cardbus usb2 ports. I've verified that the ports on the cardbus works becos it had no problem detecting my mouse.

Anyone with help??
    Last edited by entau17; February 6th, 2005 at 09:23 PM.