USB 2.0 USB 2.0 Cardbus working at 11mbps, USB 1.1 speed

Thread: USB 2.0 USB 2.0 Cardbus working at 11mbps, USB 1.1 speed

Question USB 2.0 USB 2.0 Cardbus working at 11mbps, USB 1.1 speed

Hello
    My PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card is working at only USB 1.1 speeds.

I have a Sony PCG-GRX-316MP Laptop. Its about 2 years old, P3 or P4 (cannot remember) 1.4ghz (about), 512mb ram

I purchased a ST Labs PCMCIA to USB 2.0 and firewire card. Has 2 USB 2.0 ports, and 2 firewire. I have the power supply that came with this plugged in.

I have Windows XP Pro SP 1 (not SP 1a, which just removes the Java stuff)

It is up to date with all further patches from Microsoft, but does NOT have SP2.

I have had this card working at USB 2.0 speeds before. When I first purchased it, I struggled to get it to work at USB 2.0 speed. I decided to rebuild the laptop, and it worked at USB 2.0 speed. I left it at that. Now I have rebuilt it again, and it is back at USB 1.1 speed.

I have installed the ALi USB 2.0 driver that came on the disk with the device. Does XP Pro SP1 need this? I am not sure of the version of the ALi Driver, but notice there is an ALi driver on this site. Will check tonight.

To verify this speed, I am using a DOS utility called chddspeed.exe. Not sure where I got it from. Reports about 11 MBps.

Into this USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, I am plugging an external HDD enclosure with a 120gb HDD from Western Digital. The external enclosure is USB 2.0 and firewire. It works at about 25MBps through firewire.

I have also tested this with my Archos 380 80gb HDD MP3 DIVX player. It is USB 2.0

So does anyone have any idea why I would be having these problems?

I have tried uninstalling the devices a couple of times.

Tonight, I plan to uninstall all the USB devices, using the device manager. Then I will un-plug the PCMCIA card, turn off PC, Turn on PC without cardbus, it will detect the built in USB 1.1 hosts. Then I will installt he ALi driver from this site, reboot PC, plug in PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card, and turn on, with fingers crossed

I have tried these externald HDDs both directly to the PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, and through a Belkin powered USB 2.0 hub.

Thanks for any help.
    David

Have you reinstalled all motherboard drivers?
    You mention a DOS application these dont support USB2 that I know of.
    Last edited by Archer; September 14th, 2004 at 05:34 AM.

About ST Lab USB tools

I have buyed an USB-Usb Network Bridge 1.1 and is not working at all on XP with any service pack. Is working only with XP without any service pack. Sad thing. I will by another. Do not buy ST Lab again, or, test it before.

My job is to fix computers

Quote Originally Posted by MadBison
    Hello
    My PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card is working at only USB 1.1 speeds.

I have a Sony PCG-GRX-316MP Laptop. Its about 2 years old, P3 or P4 (cannot remember) 1.4ghz (about), 512mb ram

I purchased a ST Labs PCMCIA to USB 2.0 and firewire card. Has 2 USB 2.0 ports, and 2 firewire. I have the power supply that came with this plugged in.

I have Windows XP Pro SP 1 (not SP 1a, which just removes the Java stuff)

It is up to date with all further patches from Microsoft, but does NOT have SP2.

I have had this card working at USB 2.0 speeds before. When I first purchased it, I struggled to get it to work at USB 2.0 speed. I decided to rebuild the laptop, and it worked at USB 2.0 speed. I left it at that. Now I have rebuilt it again, and it is back at USB 1.1 speed.

I have installed the ALi USB 2.0 driver that came on the disk with the device. Does XP Pro SP1 need this? I am not sure of the version of the ALi Driver, but notice there is an ALi driver on this site. Will check tonight.

To verify this speed, I am using a DOS utility called chddspeed.exe. Not sure where I got it from. Reports about 11 MBps.

Into this USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, I am plugging an external HDD enclosure with a 120gb HDD from Western Digital. The external enclosure is USB 2.0 and firewire. It works at about 25MBps through firewire.

I have also tested this with my Archos 380 80gb HDD MP3 DIVX player. It is USB 2.0

So does anyone have any idea why I would be having these problems?

I have tried uninstalling the devices a couple of times.

Tonight, I plan to uninstall all the USB devices, using the device manager. Then I will un-plug the PCMCIA card, turn off PC, Turn on PC without cardbus, it will detect the built in USB 1.1 hosts. Then I will installt he ALi driver from this site, reboot PC, plug in PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card, and turn on, with fingers crossed

I have tried these externald HDDs both directly to the PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, and through a Belkin powered USB 2.0 hub.

Thanks for any help.
    David