Sharing a NTL cable connection

Thread: Sharing a NTL cable connection

Sharing a NTL cable connection

My girlfriend has just got a new flat and had NTL cable broadband installed (600k package). The modem is a NTL:Home 200 with the option of USB or ethernet connection to the computer.

Her flatmate had the modem installed in his room when she was out so as a solution she tried using the ethernet on the modem. This worked at short range but obviously they couldn't both be on the net at once. This isn't a big problem for them so she went and bought a 10m CAT5 cable from RS electronics but when she rigged it all up it doesn't work. My brother's suggestion is that RS damaged the cable when making it so she's getting it tested.

A cheap solution I have come up with if the cable doesnt work is to get a router and a network card for her flatmate's PC (she has one already). My question is this: can they have the cable modem and both PCs plugged into the router and both surf the internet at the same time?

I wanted to check before any money was parted with.

I have found this resource about this sort of networking. I have also been looking at this router. Is the resource correct and is this piece of hardware any good for the job?

I'm not a novice but I've never done anything serious with networking and connection sharing. Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by ringo2143z; September 14th, 2004 at 06:42 PM.

Yes, it should work as you described. DLink generally makes good products and that one should do the job. Here's another resource for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/networking

Don't know what their budget is, but for a little bit more they could get a wireless router and wireless network cards, thereby eliminating the wires running from room to room.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Yeah, I suggested the wireless route to her too but the shear thought of spending £85-100 on something got a very quick no. The wired setup would cost about £40 I think which is a bit more respectable. I don't think they're too bothered about the cabling as they can run it round the skirting boards.

Thanks!