USB devices aren't recognized.

Thread: USB devices aren't recognized.

USB devices aren't recognized.

I am having a problem with both of the usb ports in my Compaq Presario 1500 laptop. After reinstalling Windows XP, none of my USB devices are being recognized. All devices worked fine before the reinstallation. The software for the devices are working fine.

My OS is Windows XP. SP1 has been installed.

These are the troubleshooting steps I've taken:

1. Both USB root hubs have been uninstalled and reinstalled.
    2. All the software for the devices (scanner and camera) have been reinstalled.
    3. Device Manager has been scanned for problems. There are no exclamation points next to any of the devices or USB root hubs or the plug and play monitor. However, none of the USB devices themselves appear in the device manager. I don't know if that's normal or not.
    4. USB Legacy Support has been enabled in BIOS.

The reason I had to reinstall WindowsXP is that I think a virus had infected my system. I began to get Stop Codes that would restart my system. I experienced a whole spectrum of problems with various software as I attemtped to install them. After reinstalling WindowsXP these problems went away. I installed Norton Anti-Virus 2002
    after the reinstallation. I do not know if this is pertinent information, but I thought I'd include it just in case.

Also, I don't know if reinstalling the USB root hubs is the same as reinstalling the drivers for the USB themselves. If these are two seperate steps, then I need to know how to identify my USB drivers and where to download them from. I've done a bit of googling on this topic but have come away a bit confused.

I hope I've provided enough information to help you understand the problem. If not, I will be more than happy to provide whatever information you may need.

Anybody who can help me solve this problem will forever go down in history as my greatest hero.

Thanks in advance!

-Jarvis

It looks that I'll be answering my own question.

4 minutes after I posted my question, I solved it. I wasn't sure if I had USB 2.0 or not, so after googling how to find out if I did, I realized that the "USB Enhanced" subcategory in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the Device Manager meant that I did indeed have USB 2.0. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Enhanced USB function... and that added a USB 2.0 subcategory that previously hadn't been there. Once that happened my USB devices began to work.

Thanks for your help, Jarvis!

-Jarvis

Welcome to Windrivers jarvis - glad you sorted it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by jarvismcnikid
    It looks that I'll be answering my own question.

4 minutes after I posted my question, I solved it. I wasn't sure if I had USB 2.0 or not, so after googling how to find out if I did, I realized that the "USB Enhanced" subcategory in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the Device Manager meant that I did indeed have USB 2.0. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the Enhanced USB function... and that added a USB 2.0 subcategory that previously hadn't been there. Once that happened my USB devices began to work.

Thanks for your help, Jarvis!

-Jarvis
    Jarvis,
    But HOW did you uninstall and reinstall it? I think this may be similar to the problem I have with a USB 2.0 PC card that doesn't recognize devices. I uninstall it and do a device refresh and it just reinstalls the same driver and the problem continues.

Andy

Andy.

It has been so long ago now that I'm unable to fully recall the precise specifics of what I did. But if my foggy memory is correct, I simply did exactly what I had typed out: I uninstalled the USB Enhanced subcategory. Then I right-clicked "Universal Serial Bus Controllers," clicked "scan for hardware changes," and then the USB 2.0 subcategory showed up. It really wasn't more complicated than that. Hope it helps.

-Jarvis

Jarvis, thanks, but unfortunately I think I'm screwed. That's what I did but the same one showed up and it just doesn't work with the PC card.

Andy