Star Wars on DVD
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on DVD

Star Wars on DVD

As many of us might already know, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, & Return of the Jedi are being released on DVD on Tuesday Sept 21st.

Who here besides me will be in line when the stores open?

All hail the Star Wars Geeks!!
    U.S. out of U.N.

I think I'll pick it up somewhere from whoever has a good sale. I like the movies, but I'm not a fanatic.

Are they supposed to be the versions with all his added digital crap? Like all the digitally added scenes like Han and Jabba in the spaceport?

If I'm in line for anything tuesday It'll be for the Mr. Show 4th season and only to get it on a good sale.

Last nite I got Clerks X, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Goodfellas so I'm set for a little while.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

David Cross rules.

Registered User PreciousAngelJS25's Avatar
    I dont think I'll wait in line, but I'm sure I'll get them sometime!!
    *I'm not weird, I'm delightfully strange!!*
    *Faith is hope holding out it's hand in the dark.*

Luvs! Jess

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    I think I'll pick it up somewhere from whoever has a good sale. I like the movies, but I'm not a fanatic.

Are they supposed to be the versions with all his added digital crap? Like all the digitally added scenes like Han and Jabba in the spaceport?

If I'm in line for anything tuesday It'll be for the Mr. Show 4th season and only to get it on a good sale.

Last nite I got Clerks X, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Goodfellas so I'm set for a little while.
    In a sense they are the extra digital versions. The extra digital content has been re-worked so some things look much better, including jabba the hutt, while others...let's just say I have no idea why he made the changes.

This is a good site to show the changes made for the DVDs.
    DVD differences
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar

thanks DM, that's kinda what I figured about the new releases being the digitaly remastered versions.

I kinda don't like that approach. I like to look back on those movies and be impressed at what they did with what little they had.

somebody should keep Lucas's hands off his own work
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    thanks DM, that's kinda what I figured about the new releases being the digitaly remastered versions.

I kinda don't like that approach. I like to look back on those movies and be impressed at what they did with what little they had.

somebody should keep Lucas's hands off his own work
    That is exactly why he did things the way he did -even back in the day he did things his way. Stirred up a lot of controversy with the giant Hollywood corporations, the director's guild and more; but he was successfull making his movies his way - answering only to himself.

I for one, have the original trilogy as it originally appeard on the big screen on laser disc. It will be fun to do a side by side comparison with the new dvd versions.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

I am very excited about Star Wars on DVD. I actually am more excited about the sound than the visuals! The Original Trilogy in Dolbly Surround! You can't watch it that way on VHS, it's just not the same.
    Dark, you mentioned they fixed up some of the computer generated models. Are you sure? I don't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed by Jabba's darker skinned miget brother talking to Han Solo again....
    Also, if they fix ONE THING in A New Hope . . . Greedo had better NOT shoot first!

-Vergence

Quote Originally Posted by Vergence
    Greedo had better NOT shoot first!
    I've heard that it's been changed to where they both shoot at about the same time... Again, I haven't watched the new DVDs myself; this is just what I've heard...
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

**Not really a spoiler but whatever**

The only thing I saw that I didn't like was using the kid for the ghost at the end. Other than that, the changes seemed to be good.

Banned
    I'll get it, and I don't care when Greedo shoots

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    I'll get it, and I don't care when Greedo shoots

I don't like the changes beyond adding in more fighters in the end of the 1st episode and cleaning up the "boxy" special effects and will not be buying this set or any other.

Also given the major crap level of the new films, I'm not doing a thing to put a dime in lucas's pocket.

I'll get it. I wonder if the managed to do more with the sound than just clean it up with Dolby. Dolby 5.1 would be really great, although DTS would be better in my opinion.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I have money left over on my b-day Best Buy gift certificates that is earmarked for 9:00am on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    I'll get it. I wonder if the managed to do more with the sound than just clean it up with Dolby. Dolby 5.1 would be really great, although DTS would be better in my opinion.
    I'm guessing that they wouldn't put it on DVD until they could work it up in Dolby 5.1 (man, that's going to sound great). If that site is real I think I'll be happy about Jabba, maybe about the Greedo thing, probably not about the Anakin Ghost, and probably just cool with everything else. (I'm suspicious of the site only because Star Wars fans are usually very good at 'inventing' stuff and backing it up with digitally altered images.) Not saying the site is bad, but maybe their source is.