Back and forward buttons

Thread: Back and forward buttons

Back and forward buttons

Win 98 SE. Whenever the user opens a folder these buttons are greyed out. Nothing in the folder options points to this and everything I've found on Google deals with I.E. Any ideas?

Back and Forward buttons were a goody from the Windows Active Desktop Update so it's very appropriate that re-installing IE might be a fix. BUT you'll need http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/{D1A1E38D-EEA2-4e9b-B33F-7204E7C0E674}/ie6sp1/x86/en/IE4SHL95.CAB file in your IE install folder in order for the active desktop update to re-install it's files. Same cab file is good for all IE 5 and IE 6 versions. For 95 and NT all you have to do to install the Windows Active Desktop Update is re-run Iesetup.exe and it happens automatically, 98 came with the Active Desktop already installed so you may have to punt and install it manually by extracting the files from that cab and installing it via the inf file found therein. WinZip can extract the files if you didn't already know that.

You'll need to invoke the inf file by using the following template since a right click 'Install' won't get the job done correctly (different install engine).

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %1, DefaultInstall

where %1 stands for the path and filename to the inf file to be installed, in this case Ie4shell.inf. Spacing and Capitalization of utmost importance so copy and past exact text above and fill in the path info followed by the single comma as above. Then paste it all into the Run Box and you should be set. Rebooting would be a good idea at that point - any joy? Too late? Gone to XP?

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Win 98 SE. Whenever the user opens a folder these buttons are greyed out...
    Have I miss-ed the point ?

If you open a folder then you can't go backwards & forwards as you haven't been anywhere from that point yet ..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    If you open a folder then you can't go backwards & forwards as you haven't been anywhere from that point yet ..

If you open a subfolder, does the back and forward buttons reappear?
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]