Tweak the Cable Modem

Thread: Tweak the Cable Modem

Question Tweak the Cable Modem

My ISP has put a cap on my cable modem for my Broadband connection. I am told it is cable of going a lot faster that it currently is but to be fair to the neighbourhood everyone has the same cap limit to keep the bandwidth available.

Does anybody know of a way to tap into the cable modem and increase my speed?

Mike Tasker
    Minimum Spec: Windows 98
    Can I run this on my pocket calculator?

First, I don't think you can do anything in terms of the hardware (cable modem). Your bandwidth (if I am correct) is throttled by the server.

Cable modem I think is not configured for bandwidth control. If modems were control devices, they would have to manually configure every single modem everytime they need to make bandwidth modifications. It is much easier to do it centrally from a server.

Also, there are registry settings that you can modify that CAN help. I believe it has something to do with the size of the packets.

<a href="http://www.speedguide.net/" target="_blank">http://www.speedguide.net/</a>
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

What you are asking is to get faster speeds for free. The answer is NO, you can't get something for nothing.

Your cable modem does not control your maximum bandwidth and there is nothing you can do to it to affect your maximum speed. In fact, if you tamper with your modem, you may violate your terms of service with your ISP, and they could cancel your service.