Dynex DVD model DX DVDRW8

Thread: Dynex DVD model DX DVDRW8

Dynex DVD model DX DVDRW8

Hello. I am new to this forum and need some help. I am not a computer geek. One of the threads referred to accessing "Device Manager" How do I do that? I checked Control Panel and it was not there.

Now for my problem, I am running a Dell Dimensions 8200 2.4 ghz, 120 g harddrive, 2g memory on XP SP2.

I have the following drives installed:
    Dynex DX DVDRW8 internal in first port as slave

CD RW internal came with computer in second port as master (suggested by Dynex support)

Sony DVD RW DRX 530UL (external)

I just installed the Dynex yesterday replacing a CD/DVD rom so that I could read +R discs burned on the Sony and also be able to burn DVDs.
    The Dynex will not burn with a Roxio version 5.? which I downloaded but the original software disc came with my Dell Inspiron 8500. It will not burn the Dynex DVDs. Says it cannot find a DVD recorder. However, Sony software, Sonic/Record Now will burn a +R Verbatim disc using the Dynex burner.

I have a Nero OEM software disc provided with the Dynex. Should I download it or just continue to use Sonic/Record Now. Sony told me that there are conflicts between Roxio and Sonic software and that I should add/remove Roxio. I am so confused.

Please help.

Bev

Welcome to the forums Bev.

So you find device manager by opening control panel & then double clicking 'system', then choose the 'hardware' tab & a button should be apparent, or you can right click 'my computer', choose properties then the hardware tab etc..

All the burning s/w you have seems to be 'hardware locked' to a unit (this is where they give you the software to work only with a particular writer) .. What I'd do is go get a full version of nero from here & give that a whirl & see if that works ( & I think you may get away with your existing serial number to make that 'full' if you already have the same version number)

Also for 'completeness' I'd turn off the windows service 'Imapi Burning Service' - to do this, in your run box, type: services.msc scroll down and look for IMAPI Burning CD com, then right click goto properties, stop the service and look for start-up and hit the dropdown and change to disable.
    Last edited by confus-ed; September 26th, 2004 at 01:29 PM.

Thank you very much for your reply. I did find Device Manager. Thank you.

I have not tried the rest of your advice but I am now having pretty good luck with Sonic Record Now. I recorded a +R DVD with the Dynex and it will read in my Dell notebook and Sony DRX 5300UL. Is Sonic Record Now an acceptable recording software. If yes, then I can just ignore Roxio 5 or Nero. I should also note I will be recording only data DVDs for my multi digital photos.

Bev
    Last edited by bas1; September 26th, 2004 at 01:38 PM.

Is Sonic Record Now an acceptable recording software. If yes, then I can just ignore Roxio 5 or Nero...
    Yeah its ok, I personally like nero better (but each to their own) .. however what about this bit

..I just installed the Dynex yesterday replacing a CD/DVD rom so that I could read +R discs burned on the Sony and also be able to burn DVDs.
    The Dynex will not burn with a Roxio version 5.? which I downloaded but the original software disc came with my Dell Inspiron 8500. It will not burn the Dynex DVDs. Says it cannot find a DVD recorder. However, Sony software, Sonic/Record Now will burn a +R Verbatim disc using the Dynex burner..
    That leaves me most confus-ed ! - here you seem to say that none of the software will write on all writers all of the time ( because of this 'hardware locking' stuff I'd guess) - so I'm a bit puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Yeah its ok, I personally like nero better (but each to their own) .. however what about this bit

That leaves me most confus-ed ! - here you seem to say that none of the software will write on all writers all of the time ( because of this 'hardware locking' stuff I'd guess) - so I'm a bit puzzled
    Sonic record now will record on all three DVD writers using +R, Sony 530UL, newly installed Dynex, and packaged DVD writer on my Dell notebook. Discs recorded on all three using Sonic/Record now will also read on all three DVD units. So for a dumbie like me I think Sonic Record Now is the solution since I am using the software for data archiving only. Also, Sonic Record Now is a very simple interface.

By the way, I like these forums a lot and have placed a link in my forums folder.

Bev

If you have a workable solution you like, leave it alone then ! (if you decide later you want everything working 'perfectly' we can always look again at it )

& glad you like the forums {we aim to please etc, though if you wander from the technical bits you may find the conversation somewhat 'lively' ! }

Thanks confus-ed. You will probably be hearing from me again.

As far as the lively discussions goes and if that means what I think it does, I worked in an all male environment for 22.5 years. So, I have heard it all. I am now retired. Please don't lose patience with my sometimes dumb questions.

Bev

Quote Originally Posted by bas1
    Thanks confus-ed. You will probably be hearing from me again.

As far as the lively discussions goes and if that means what I think it does, I worked in an all male environment for 22.5 years. So, I have heard it all. I am now retired. Please don't lose patience with my sometimes dumb questions.

Bev
    From one Bev to another - no such thing as a dumb question.... only dumb answers given by people who forget they had to learn this stuff once.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."