DLT Tape Storage solutions

Thread: DLT Tape Storage solutions

DLT Tape Storage solutions

Hello..

Can anyone recommend a good DLT tape storage solution for storing the physical tapes themselves? I have about 60 tapes I use for rotations in a single DLT drive and am tired of just keeping them on a shelf. I have had no luck in finding an elegant storage solution online, perhaps Im just not using the right search terms - I keep getting sites wanting to sell me DLT tapes and drives etc..

TIA

Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

Find a box (or two) large enough and adjust it's size. Or make your own box from a piece of cardboard. That's what I did for my 90+ DDS tapes.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Find a box (or two) large enough and adjust it's size. Or make your own box from a piece of cardboard. That's what I did for my 90+ DDS tapes.
    Unfortunately we do alot of tours at this facility, which is the main motivation to find a nice looking way to store them. If nothing else I guess I can make a nice little red-oak box and hang it on the wall.

Im still very open to suggestions if anyone knows of a nice way to store them.

Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

Here I use a modified VHS video cassette rack - I just cut down a standard rack width ways. DLT tapes are exactly the same thickness and nearly enough the same depth as a VHS cassette, they are just half an inch over half the width though.

The type of rack I used is a metal & perspex thing which originally held 24 video cassettes, now 24 DLT's - I can't remember where I got it. It was easy enough to dismantle & cut down and looks more professional than simply stacking the things...

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

http://www.office1000.com/checklist/mediasafe.html

You want to go high tech, get the DS1513, holds 54 DLT's...or the mac-daddy DS1817, holds 117 DLT's...both have a UL Class 125 rating of one hour...plus impact. That'll impress the powers that be!

U.L. Class 350 -- 1 Hour: The cabinet is heated in an oven to 1700F over a period of 1 hour and the interior temperature of the cabinet shall not exceed 350F.
    U.L. Fire and Impact Test: After the cabinet is heated as above, the cabinet is removed from the furnace and dropped 30 feet onto a riprap of brick on a heavy concrete base. The unit is then reheated 1550 F for 30 minutes and the interior temperature shall not exceed 350 F.

Missed this:
    U.L. Class 125 - 1 Hour: The cabinet is heated in an oven for 1700 F over a period of 1 hour and the interior temperature of the cabinet shall not exceed 125F. The humidity in the cabinet shall not reach 80%.