CPU Usage 100%!

Thread: CPU Usage 100%!

CPU Usage 100%!

I just reformatted and reinstalled windows, and my computer is barely useable. Every time I try to do anything, it locks up and the computer is 'not responding'.

I am using XP Pro SP2 and have plenty of space on my hard drive.
    Is this a driver problem, anyone know?
    When i reformatted, I had to get nVidia drivers from my friends computer, burn em to a cd, and load them on my computer. And when I open device manager, there is still one set of drivers I do not have, for 'PCI Simple Communications Device'.

I have the latest video card drivers for my Radeon 9200, current SP2, and AVG Anti-Virus.
    Plus I ran Spybot and it found a bunch of 'DSO Exploits'? What are those, should i fix/delete them with spybot, or is there another fix for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my computer is crap right now.
    Thanks

Oh, and the process that is taking up most of the CPU is SYSTEM, at 99% most of the time.

And I have no usb devices.

Welcome to Windrivers Chief.

If you look in the task manager under processes, and click on CPU, which image name is using the highest percentage?

'System' is the highest at 80-99%

The image name is System

You need to install the motherboard drivers and get and install the modem - pci simple communications controller is a software modem
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

maybe its a virus ( thats not detectable to your AV).. try to download tcp view.. you can see all your connections their.. if you see a program is connecting allot ( a flood) then its a virus or something...

here is the link for tcp view:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

DjoeDjoe

Since it is fresh install of XP, I would suspect wrong or corrupted driver installed, not a virus... I've seen (quite a few times) HP keyboard driver taking 99-100%, so could do any other driver... At least, I have already seen once "one the latest" Nvidia drivers causing problem like this... Had to install previous version and all worked fine...

I have also seen my logitech cordless wingman take up 100% of system if it is plugged into my USB hub. Anything else in the Hub works, the wingman works fine if plugged directly into the mobo.

Took me 3 reinstalls to figure that one out, finally disconnected everything and installed fresh, then plugged each device in one at a time until it sloooooowed down