Firewire detects nothing!

Thread: Firewire detects nothing!

Firewire detects nothing!

Hello,

Today I woke up and in the middle of a massive 5 DVD project, my Canon XL-1s was not detected in Windows. It's worked fine until today. To test, I also tried hooking up my Primera Bravo DVD burner via Firewire as well as my external hard drive. Nothing was detected. Out of curiosity, I bought another firewire card and slapped it in. Windows says it's fine in the control panels under 1394 OHCI compatible or whatever.

However, I get nothing with either the old PCI firewire card or the new one.

My computer specs
    AMD XP 2000
    Soyo Dragon KT333
    512 DDR Corsair Ram
    TI 4600 Video card
    Maxtor ATA 133 hard drives

I have the feeling that this is some sort of Windows problem, but I really dont' know. Any help would be appreciated.

Brandon Drury

Welcome to WD Brandon! Are the drivers loaded for the firewire cards in device manager?
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

The "IEEE 1394 Host Bus Controller" shows up, but I'm not getting anything else.

Should the card show up anywhere else in Control Panels?

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by brandondrury
    The "IEEE 1394 Host Bus Controller" shows up, but I'm not getting anything else.

Should the card show up anywhere else in Control Panels?

Brandon
    Should show up in device manager with no yellow exclamation marks on it.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

The "IEEE 1394 Host Bus Controller" shows up with no yellow exclamation points. Windows says that it is good to go.

Brandon

Are you using the same cable with the built-in port and the new PCI card?

I tend to look for things laike that to isolate any possible common point of failure.

I've tried a few different cables. I have 2 cables that have the standard firewire plug on each end and I have one cable that I'm using with Canon XL-1s video camera.

I considered the notion of the cables being an issue. Of course it seams unlikely that all 3 cables would be faulty, but who knows.

However, I have a new bit of info that you may find interesting.

Using my same home computer and a computer that I use at my recording studio (a computer not previously used in my tests) I slapped one of my older firewire cards into the recording computer. Control panels says the card is there and functional, but I didn't get any onscreen message for this.

I hooked up my external hard drive...nothing. I hooked up my DVD burner...nothing. I hooked up my video camera...nothing.

However, for the heck of it, I tried to see if I could network my home computer and my recording computer together with Firewire. I had absolutely no onscreen popups walking me through the process so I just setup a network connection. Nothing seamed to happen.

Then I was trying something and I unplugged one of the firewire cables. My home computer said "1394 Cable Unplugged". I was shocked. So I plugged it back in. It turns out that they are networked and can share files. This tells me that 2 of my firewire cards are functional and the cable is good.

Unfortunately, this does not help me with the Canon XL-1s, Primera Bravo, or my external hard drive. All are needed for my big DVD project.

For what it's worth, the firewire network does not seam to be all that trustworthy. I mean, I unplugged the firewire cable and the network died. However, I plugged it back in two minutes ago and it still hasn't kicked the firewire network back on yet.

Any ideas? This has to be a first.....

Brandon