Help Needed For Epson Stylus Colour 660

Thread: Help Needed For Epson Stylus Colour 660

Question Help Needed For Epson Stylus Colour 660

HI!

Hope someone can help me.

I've got an Epson Stylus Colour 660, and i'm trying to install it onto a new computer. The only way is through a parallel port. I've plugged it in and tried installing printer manually which didn't work. I've also been onto the Epson website to get the latest driver (I'm on XP). This also hasn't made any difference. The printer seems to install ok, but when trying to print a test page says there is a communication error.

The printer now flashes every time its on, i guess confirming there is a communication error (this isn't the red cartridge lights, they are fine)

Is this a problem with my cable, or how its installed?

Please help!

Many thanks,
    Sophie

Hi, welcome to the wacky world of windrivers!

Ok boot up PC into BIOS and have a look for the parallel port settings and check what they are set to, it'll be something like ECP or EPP, whichever one it is, try changing and then re-installing the printer.

I'm guessing that XP finds the printer when you connect it? If its not seeing it as soon as its switched on, it could be either cable or the port configuration. What service pack do you have on XP?
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Hi, yes XP does find the printer when i turn on. I think the problem is that if i turn on the printer, or whatever i do to install drivers etc., the main on/off switch light keeps flashing! Any ideas why its doing this? I can only think its the cable maybe, in which case i'll have to get a new one to try!

I've tried looking at the port settings and changing those too but doesn't help.

Thanks for your help.

Its not something as simple as wrong paper type is it? You're printing using A4 for example and it thinks it should be letter?

Is there a 'continue' button on the printer?

No, i'm not getting as far as being able to print anything because it pops up with communication error message when i try to print anything!

Have checked paper etc anyway just in case. There is a paper feed button which i've also tried. The other button is for cartridges and these are definitely ok!

Any more ideas? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by xofie
    No, i'm not getting as far as being able to print anything because it pops up with communication error message when i try to print anything!

Have checked paper etc anyway just in case. There is a paper feed button which i've also tried. The other button is for cartridges and these are definitely ok!

Any more ideas? :-)
    slowly running out I have to say.... have you another PC we can try the printer on, just to rule out a printer fault? Are there any other printers 'installed' but not being used?

I did have a situation once where a HP driver was hogging the LPT1 port and as soon as I deleted the HP printer drivers, the QMS printer worked.

there is another printer installed on the computer but its not in use anymore. i could try getting rid of this as you say!

I used to use the printer on my laptop and definitely worked (under a week ago!) That also has XP, just is rather slow so thats why i'm trying a different computer. Might be more hassle than its worth now!

Quote Originally Posted by xofie
    there is another printer installed on the computer but its not in use anymore. i could try getting rid of this as you say!

I used to use the printer on my laptop and definitely worked (under a week ago!) That also has XP, just is rather slow so thats why i'm trying a different computer. Might be more hassle than its worth now!
    Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it! let me know how the deletion gets on.

You can find your Epson Stylus Color 660 Manuals here. Several manuals there are available for download.

Also, notice the other links there. You might try contact Epson's Support. They are usually pretty good at responding within a day or so.