D Drive not detected!?

Thread: D Drive not detected!?

Unhappy D Drive not detected!?

HellO! I have a toshiba laptop that was functioning fine until yesterday when I put in a cd and nothing happened. I could hear the drive doing whatever it is it does, but when I went to "my computer" the d drive wasn't listed. The a and c was there, but no d. And the toshiba troubleshooting is of no help. And Somewhere while following all the procedures I could think of it said that it was functioning properly, but not detected? What is going on? And why would it suddenly not be listed? Where did it go and how can I get it back?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please. Please. Help.

Welcome to WD Forums PinkInk.
    I have a bunch of questions to ask though.
    How old is this lappy, and what OS?
    Is it detected in BIOS, is most important though.
    If it is detected in BIOS but not in the OS, then we can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Welcome to WD Forums PinkInk.
    I have a bunch of questions to ask though.
    How old is this lappy, and what OS?
    Is it detected in BIOS, is most important though.
    If it is detected in BIOS but not in the OS, then we can help you.
    Ok I'll do my best to answer your questions, but please be patient with me because I'm self taught on computers, which means I KNOW NOTHING.

It's a 2002, Toshiba windows xp home edition and I don't know what BIOS is. Or os. I'm just guessing you want to know I'm running xp. If you want specific info, you'll have to tell me how to specificly find it. Thank you again for your patience.

Alright Pinky, the BIOS is the Basic Input Output System. It controls the hardware on your machine. It is what you see when you boot up (start) your pc. You probably see text before the Operating System (OS) loads, which in your case is XP. So, when your pc starts up, you will have the option of clicking a key to go into bios setup. That is what we want you to do. In that setup program you will see all sorts of settings that I don't want you to change or do anything with right now. We just need to know if the bios "sees" the "D" drive. On the opening screen you should see the time and date and a list of the drives detected. Do you see see something that refers to a CD drive?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Alright Pinky, the BIOS is the Basic Input Output System. It controls the hardware on your machine. It is what you see when you boot up (start) your pc. You probably see text before the Operating System (OS) loads, which in your case is XP. So, when your pc starts up, you will have the option of clicking a key to go into bios setup. That is what we want you to do. In that setup program you will see all sorts of settings that I don't want you to change or do anything with right now. We just need to know if the bios "sees" the "D" drive. On the opening screen you should see the time and date and a list of the drives detected. Do you see see something that refers to a CD drive?
    Ok I'm going to see if I can do that but here is what I found when I was in device manager, clicked on properties on the cd drive

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device

That is an OS issue. Even though the CD spins up and has power does not mean it has "communication" with the laptop. That is what we need to know now.
    So, that means the bios. Tell us what you find out.
    Also, what model Toshiba, so everyone can help later?

Now I'm starting to get frusterated. (too quickly right?) When I turn my puter off then on again, it fairly quickly loads the page that you choose your user (myself, my husband) There's no other option before that. So I go ahead and open my sided of the puter. Cannot find anywhere an option to go to bios. Tried looking everywhere I could think for that option, including using the 'search' for it (another tool I've found useless.) I was right clicking on the time in the right hand corner looking for something, anything that would show me the way. Oy. Sorry for my ignorence.

Oy?
    Yeah, I agree.
    The option to get into bios is there as soon as you turn on your pc, not when Windoze loads. So, you have to be quick.
    What model number Toshiba?
    Usually you click on "delete" to enter bios. But, in your case, the Toshiba may require you to click on F1 on your kb AS SOON AS YOU TURN ON YOUR LAPPY!

Hi there,

When you first turn your laptop on, you'll probably see a black screen with the word "Toshiba" in big red letters across the screen. if you look at the bottom left of this screen, you'll see some small text in white writing. It's not there for very long, so you have to be quick.

The text says something like "press F2 to enter setup". This is what you need. "Setup" is the same as "BIOS" for this situation. Once you press the F2 key (or delete key, or F1 key, or whatever the instructions say) this will take you into the setup (or BIOS). In there, the mouse will not work - you need to use the arrow keys on your laptop keyboard to navigate. Use the enter key to select your choice. To exit BIOS (or setup) you need to use the function keys (e.g. F10, F8 etc).

What we're looking for is a section (within setup) relating to the setup of your machine. Navigate through the different sections (press escape key to go backwards) until you find somewhere that mentions your hard disks. We're looking for any mention of your D:

What we suspect may have happened is either your harddrive is dead or perhaps your harddrive caddy is dead If the harddrive shows up in setup (or BIOS) then it is NOT dead and we can fix it.

Dan.
    MG Metro Turbos rule