Dynex Dvd installation help please

Thread: Dynex Dvd installation help please

Dynex Dvd installation help please

I am by no means familiar with the inner workings of a computer so please dumb-down answers for me. I bought a Dynex Dvd writer to read dvd games discs etc..
    My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200
    I have a cd writer in there and would like both hooked up as I'm not sure the Dynex will burn cds for me.
    I installed the dvd as closely as I can see to the instructions and when I reboot the computer I get a "secondary disk not found" message and no drive is visible in my computer window.
    I rehooked up the original cd burner to make sure I didnt break the wiring or something and it works fine. I read many of the related? posts and dont understand how to identify the primary, secondary, master, slave stuff. any help would be super appreciated thanks.

Welcome to windrivers dudewalker. Your computer has two ide channels, primary and secondary. Each channel can accomodate two drives, the master and the slave. Each drive has jumpers on the back next to where the cable connects where you would set it as master or slave. There is usually a diagram printed next to the jumper, or one should have been included with the drive's documentation.

Assuming you have one hard drive, it would be connected as the master on the primary channel, with the cd and dvd drives connected as the master and slave on the secondary channel. The drive you intend to use for burning should be the master (yes, the dvd burner will burn cd's). If the cd burner was previously set as master, you will have to change the jumper on that drive as well.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

thanks hudsonsmith I works like I had someone else do it for me. I appreciate your help good karma to you.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 16th, 2004 at 09:01 AM.