Can't install USB mass storage device on WIN2000

Thread: Can't install USB mass storage device on WIN2000

Question Can't install USB mass storage device on WIN2000

I have this weired problem when installing any kind of USB mass storage device on my WIN2000 machine: No matter what USB mass storage device I try to install, it fails to install the driver automatically, and started the installation wizard. when I force it to "USB mass Storage Device" (usbstor.inf), it returned error with "The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.". I have tried two different kinds of external USB hard disk and one USB memory stick, all failed to install with the same symptom.

I have looked at the registry, to my surprise, under the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces, there's no entry for USBSTOR!! I am not sure if that is the reason that any USB mass storage device can not be installed
    anymore.

The strange thing to me is that I do have two different kinds of USB memory card reader installed on this PC before and they are still working. I can still install other types of USB devices such as USB hub, and USB printer.

If the usbstor missing from registry is the reason, then how can I restore it and be able to install more USB mass storage devices?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Last edited by gstonegt; October 11th, 2004 at 11:05 AM.

Welcome to windrivers gstonegt. What service pack do you haved installed? You need at least SP3 and possibly SP4.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I have SP4.

Quote Originally Posted by gstonegt
    I have this weired problem when installing any kind of USB mass storage device on my WIN2000 machine: No matter what USB mass storage device I try to install, it fails to install the driver automatically, and started the installation wizard. when I force it to "USB mass Storage Device" (usbstor.inf), it returned error with "The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.". I have tried two different kinds of external USB hard disk and one USB memory stick, all failed to install with the same symptom.

I have looked at the registry, to my surprise, under the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces, there's no entry for USBSTOR!! I am not sure if that is the reason that any USB mass storage device can not be installed
    anymore.

The strange thing to me is that I do have two different kinds of USB memory card reader installed on this PC before and they are still working. I can still install other types of USB devices such as USB hub, and USB printer.

If the usbstor missing from registry is the reason, then how can I restore it and be able to install more USB mass storage devices?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    I have sort of the same wiered problem. When I install a USB or FireWire device (mass storage, iPOD) it detects it but start the new hardware wizard and don't find the driver even though I installed the software correctly... can you help?? PLEASE?? HELP!! I just bought an iPOD mini and can't use it...