What do you think about this new handtop PC?

Thread: What do you think about this new handtop PC?

What do you think about this new handtop PC?

The world's smallest fully functional PC is about to be released any week now.

Here's a video and article about it.

I'm 95% sure I'll get one to replace my Pocket PC, it is a lot more powerful, allows me to run any software (rather than only Windows Mobile software), and most importantly comes with 20GB of storage space vs. 64MB on my Pocket PC that is shared with RAM (so maybe 40MB storage depending on ram usage).

Now I know a lot of people tell me why dont you get a laptop instead? Here's why:
    -I'm used to a pocket PC that fits in my pockets, I don't want a device that I'll only have some time because its way to big to carry everywhere I go.
    -The handtop has a touchscreen, IMO, the most natural and easiest to use pointing device, in fact, I even have a pen tablet on my PC even though I dont draw, just because I work twice as fast because it's so much more natural to use, I just cant stand the stupid touch pads on a laptop even for 5 seconds, I HATE them, you'll say "then get a mouse", then it's not so portable anymore, not that it really is to start with (at least not compared to a handtop)
    -Some people tell me "There's no CD/DVD drive", I never even use those on my desktop, except after formating and to watch DVDs, to watch DVDs or install software I can simply network it over wifi to my desktop and use it's DVD drive to rip the DVD to the handtop or to install softare, plus a USB DVD drive is like $50
    -Some people say it's too slow, well of course modern games won't run on this thing with only 8mb video ram, but I dont even play games on my desktop, and the handtop is more than powerful enough to play DVDs (ripped or with usb DVD drive) which is probably the only use I'll have that approaches the limits of this handtop.

So what do you think about this new thing? Would you get it? Would you prefer a laptop? Based on my points above do you think it is a good choice for my use?

Thanks

Oh, and just try using a laptop as an mp3 player

I would get this if the price range is good.

I tend to add flash mem cards to my PocketPC now that the price has gone down a bit, but running native WinXP apps on an ultraportable device just plain 0wnz.

It will be $1899 with XP home or $1999 with XP pro, and I dont think you'll be needing flash cards with a 20GB drive built in.

looks cool, but if it ran linux id really buy it. But since its windows no thanks.

Why dont you get it without windows and put linux on it?

And whats so wrong about windows?

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Didn't we have this thread a few months back??

Anyhow, they look kind of cool, but there is no way I'd shell out the $$ they want for one.

Especialy considering it is new technology, which means it will get better and cheaper with some time.

you could get a Sager notebook with a 17 inch screen and all the goodies for the price of one of those...but i've never had any use for a Palm or Pocket PC so i guess my opinion duznt really mean much.

I'd rather have a device I can carry with me all the time than one I cant take anywhere and will very rarely use.