IEEE 1394 Q-tec or Lacie Firewire PCI

Thread: IEEE 1394 Q-tec or Lacie Firewire PCI

Unhappy IEEE 1394 Q-tec or Lacie Firewire PCI

I cannot get my PC to find the drivers for the card. I have the Windows XP and as far as I know with all updates. Im trying to connect a Sony DV camcorder to my PC. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallilu
    I cannot get my PC to find the drivers for the card.
    Welcome to WinDrivers, Kallilu.

Firewire is native to Windows since 98, so normally no further drivers are needed for the card. If the 1394 Bus Controller in Device Manager shows a functional Host Controller existing, and there is a 1394 Net Adaptor under Network Adaptors, the Firewire installation is normal. Let us know if there are any yellow ! marks or if those Device Manager items don't appear.

If the camera then doesn't register as a drive when plugged in, it may be one that downloads with its own specific software. What model of DVC is it?

Question

There are yellow marks in the device manager. And the instalation wizard doesn't find anything "no software to support", just gives me a code 28! I just recently updated to SP2 and Im told that could be the problem. The card is a FW400 and was installed after the update to SP2.

I also just plugged a USB 2.0 exsternal harddrive to my PC and it's the same problem with that. Yellow marks in the device manager and wizard not finding anything.....

Advise....

To give you a better status, this is the reply from the wizard when I try to install the FW400PCI card, and the USB 2.0 external hard drive.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"
    "The hardware was not installed because the wizard can not find the necessery software"

1. Im connected to the internet
    2. I have updated windows XP up to date

Im told that this is a common problem since the SP2 was launched? Im really looking forward to getting this stuff to work!

There are certainly reports of problems with Firewire & SP2, the Firewire drivers are updated in SP2.

It's not a situation I've had to deal with myself. So unless anyone has any better ideas, I can only suggest firstly the standard response to boot into Safe Mode, remove the Firewire device, re-boot and allow a fresh driver install.

If this is unsuccessful, success has been claimed restoring the SP1 Firewire drivers:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html

(bottom of the page), but again, I have no personal experience of this.

The website I found after a few (a lot actually) questions to tech people, that had the SP1 drivers is out...gone...totally blown away! Could I make this all go away by getting a FW800 card? Is that competable with XP SP2? I dont care if it costs more, I just need this problem to be fixed.

For those who already had the card up and running before the updated to SP2, there are some sollutions, but if you updated, inserted the card and tried to install it, then the fit hit the shan...

And Im not getting anywhere with the USB 2.0 either, wizard does not find the software needed.

Im running out of ideas!

Kallilu, tmarnik solved his Firewire problem, 1394.inf was missing from his system. I've posted the suggestion in that topic that you may like to check if you have the same cause, a procedure here if your 1394.inf is missing too:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/vide...tes_IEEE.jhtml

but this .inf may only be applicable to SP1 if taken from the SP1 CD.

Some further info here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthrea...5&o=&fpart=all

about dealing with SP2's "terrible" Firewire drivers.
    Last edited by Platypus; October 14th, 2004 at 05:44 PM.