ATTN: Norton Internet Security users
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: Norton Internet Security users

ATTN: eBay users

I have just released version 4.0 of my ebay auction sniper and 1-2 users have reported that the program froze when attempting to place a bid.

I suspect Norton Internet Security (most of you know it's loaded with bugs, Norton Internet Security, that is) or other firewalls. Norton has caused problems with my software in the past, I tell the users to get the free and more reliable and bug free Zone Alarm which always solves the problem.

I cannot replicate the problem on my PC, I am trying to get as much info as I can from the users who are having a problem. One mentioned "Sygate firewall" (which I installed and rendered my PC un-bootable) but he said even without it the program was failing.

So, if anyone here uses ebay please let me know, I will give you a free copy of the software if you are able to replicated the problem and at least help me solve the issue so you'd be able to use it as well (if I can find the cause of the problem).

I know some of you will remember my Hard Drive Cleaner that crashed Win 98/Me due to the crappy microsoft installer. Just to re-assure you, I've gotten rid of that MS system crasher and now use a real 3rd party installer, to re-assure you even more I sold nearly 1000 copies of this software and not a single one crashed a system.

So if anyone is interested please let me know and I will PM you the download link and send you a free registration code. I will only accept a few testers, first come first served.

Note: This is not a beta version, it is a full version, the problem I beleive is in firewalls and that's the point of this test, I want to find the source of this problem.

Thanks
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; October 13th, 2004 at 04:58 PM.

UPDATE: It might be Norton 2003 causing the problems, seems like 2004 users don't have any problems but it would be good if someone could confirm this.

Updated: Other firewalls or unknown causes could be the source of this problem, for most users it's working fine, for some, parts of the program can connect to the internet and other parts can't.

Just wondering if your done answering yourself?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Bump
    Sergeant WOTPP

So tell us about this program you wrote, and are selling almost 1000 copies of.
    How much do you sell it for? What exactly does it do? Why should I buy it? How are you advertising it?? Other than Windrivers??
    Sergeant WOTPP

I was answering myself because I did important updates to the original message as I got information from users, and wanted to make it obvious it had been updated.

I sell it for $14.89, it automatically places ebay bids seconds before the auction end, ensuring the price stays low by keeping your bid hidden until the last seconds, and greatly increases your chances of winning. You would buy it if you have, or plan to, buy anything on ebay because it will normally result in a lower ending bid, the program often pays for itself after the first use unless you'r buying inexpensive items. I'm advertising it only by listing it for sale on ebay (costs me ~ $200/month in fees) and on download.com (flat rate $99/month regardless of the amount of sales).

I have not even advertised it here, I never even mentioned the name or given any info at all that could possibly lead you to find it, there are also many other programs like this.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com

I have not even advertised it here, I never even mentioned the name or given any info at all that could possibly lead you to find it, there are also many other programs like this.

Yes you have, because I was able to find it.
    WWBRD?

You mean by my username? I should change it that site is dead, but I must admit it does have an add for my software, plus the ad that was previosuly there went bankrupt

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Just wondering if your done answering yourself?

Good one Ferrit. Where have you been?

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    You mean by my username? I should change it that site is dead, but I must admit it does have an add for my software, plus the ad that was previosuly there went bankrupt
    No, I didn't find it by your username. That's the only question I'll answer on this subject. Unless you're gonna pay windrivers some advertising money I don't think it's right to continue discussing this.
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo
    No, I didn't find it by your username. That's the only question I'll answer on this subject. Unless you're gonna pay windrivers some advertising money I don't think it's right to continue discussing this.
    Bingo

Two million Norton users?. 900 your software program users. You post an alert to Norton Users? Just send an email to your customers. Quit wasting space.

I'll press that report post button, and ask for this to be deleted.
    Last edited by MobilePCPhysician; October 13th, 2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I don't know about all this negativity. Clickhere has been here before and got roasted. And, all he is looking for is comments on his s/w, not advertising. The first program he asked us to test. And, considering it was alpha or beta, we should have known the potential consequences. And, it did work at first...but then...
    Now, I don't know, but perhaps Clickhere just worded the thread subject wrong. I mean, here is a tech who writes software, and he wants input and possible solutions to his issues. So, what is wrong with that? I would think that a place like WD would be a perfect place for just that advice. So, why all the flames?

I'll repaeat, since you didn't read.

Two million Norton users?. 900 your software program users. You post an alert to Norton Users? Just send an email to your customers. Quit wasting space.

He posted an alert to Norton users. How many people would click to read it? Come on Trip. Free marketing.
    Not trying to be negative, but read through the b.s.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    New sig:

"This post brought to you by Mobile PC Physicians. Serving Cuyahoga, Lake and Geauga counties since 1995. Call us for prompt on-site pc repair. Serving residential and business customers. Day, evening, and Saturday appointments available. Emergency service available, 24/7/365. Call BR-549 for assistance.
    Sergeant WOTPP

But, like I said, perhaps if he reworded the thread title? (or, perhaps a mod can?)
    Personally, I don't see this as an advertising vehicle. He wants help, like most everyone else here. He can't figure something out!! Plus, he's been here for awhile, so I would think he knows the "rules" Just my op though. If you see this as blatant misuse of the forums then, well.....I guess we don't really count! But, when you post negativity like this, it really turns folks off who do come here looking for help After clickhere's last XP, I am surprised he even comes back. So, the admins will decide. I just think he's trying to figure something out, and needs help, and doesn't "verbalise" well. Hey, there are many like that here. Remember? Even supposed lizards with really big britches who need spell checkers. Ya_know what I mean?