compaq laptop display /inverter

Thread: compaq laptop display /inverter

compaq laptop display /inverter

Dear Friends,

I have a compaq presario 900 laptop. I am in India.

Some days back, I had forgotten to switch on the mains, so the laptop was on running on battery. I got busy elsehow. It must have gone into sleep/hibernation, and when I came back to my laptop, the display was off. I presumed it must have gone to hiberantion, so pressed the "on" button. But it did not start.

It was quite late, so I went to sleep after putting the laptop off (pressed the "on" switch 5 seconds).

Morning the laptop just wouldnt start.

There is an HP (compaq is merged with HP) support telephone number, the person asked me to do a few things that did not work, and then he asked me to switch off completely, remove all cords, then remove the battery, and start the computer on AC main power. When I did this, the computer started, but the display was not working: I could make out a very dark image on the display, but it was very dark, couldn't read a thing.

The Compaq repair station here has a bad reputation, so I took the laptop to a proper laptop repair station. They opened the machine, and told me that an IC, called .333T, which is on an invertor circuit which drives the display, has gone bad. They told me that the IC is not available anywhere, I'll have to change the whole invertor circuit. But the invertor circuit is not available. I would buy if the IC or the invertor circuit is available.

Compaq fellows told me I have to buy the whole display+ invertor circuit, and a person associated with compaq service station told me they'll unofficially get me the invertor circuit, but they haven't yet come back to me.

I have temporarily connected the laptop to the monitor of a desktop computer.

My questions:
    1. Do you think the diagnosis by the repairmen is correct, or something else could be wrong?
    2. If the diagnosis is right, where do I get the IC/ invertor circuit?*

N. M. Havewala.
    [email protected]

welcome to the wonderfuly crappy world of hp/compaq repairs. Hp/compaq do repairs in "modules" Everything to do within the LCD bezel is the display module. The LCD, the inverter, any wireless anteni and what not are all a part of that display module. this works out in hp/compaq's favour when you have a $30 inverter die and they make you spend $1500on a new display module for your $1800 notebook. If your friend can not get you one, try e-bay or do a search on google for your model notebook and fl-inverters (what the part you need is called). You should be able to find some for cheap + shipping.

Next time you are in the market for a notebook, ask the place you are buying it at if they do the repair work themselves and ask to speak to the tech(s) who repair them. They will usually be able to give you an idea of what the parts availability and average repair time/cost is for any models they sell/service.

laptop inverer/IC

Quote Originally Posted by Damned Angel
    welcome to the wonderfuly crappy world of hp/compaq repairs. Hp/compaq do repairs in "modules" Everything to do within the LCD bezel is the display module. The LCD, the inverter, any wireless anteni and what not are all a part of that display module. this works out in hp/compaq's favour when you have a $30 inverter die and they make you spend $1500on a new display module for your $1800 notebook. If your friend can not get you one, try e-bay or do a search on google for your model notebook and fl-inverters (what the part you need is called). You should be able to find some for cheap + shipping.

Next time you are in the market for a notebook, ask the place you are buying it at if they do the repair work themselves and ask to speak to the tech(s) who repair them. They will usually be able to give you an idea of what the parts availability and average repair time/cost is for any models they sell/service.
    ========================
    My laptop is a compaq presario 900. The sticker at the bottom of the laptop says:
    Compaq. P901APA130X420DC12EA/P
    SN:1V29K5BZP554
    470045-526

I took the laptop to the technician, who opened it (not in my presence) and told me that the part number of the inverter is 7F:0209047333.

A supplier has offered me a part number (F1460-60918) which he says is compatible with all 14.1" LG displays.

I have no way of knowing if my display is indeed LG?

only way is to take apart the display and remove the LCD. The manufacturer is printed on the back of the LCD.