VAIO terror
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VAIO terror

VAIO terror

I'm looking for drivers for the SONY VAIO PCG-GRX500 series laptop. I had Windows XP Home Edition. I uninstalled it and installed Windows 2000 Server and then I installed Windows XP Professional (in the order I specified according to Microsoft installation procedure for multi boot up systems). I'm not able to install any driver (modem, video, etc.) not mentioning not being able to change the screen brightness by using the fn-F5 function).
    I have tried to install the drivers downloaded from Sony web site, but my system doesn't accept them :
    error message
    "Your computer contain the wrong model information"
    or
    "This program is not design to run on this computer"

SONY support cannot do anything but magic word "System Restore!".
    Yes, but I do not need Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional and they do not have Windows 2000 Server.
    They also told me "Our System Restore CD's (or registry key) contain some serial # or something that has to match your machine # or BIOS # or what not ....".
    I tried with ATI Radeon 7500 driver downloaded from ATI site. It is designed for W2k and WIN XP. Instead high resolution, after the installation, I've gotten W2k blue screen.

I cannot believe what SONY did. You cannot install retail MS Windows OS but only what SONY provides to you.
    I have done multi boot installation several times on my previous laptops (Compaq, HP, Toshiba) without any problem.

Is anyone has an idea how to work around this.

Configuration:
    Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
    Modem: Conexant-***** SoftK56 Data/Fax ICH Modem
    NIC: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    PCMCI adapter: Ricoh R/RL/5c476(II)
    DVD/CD-ROM: SONY CD-RW CRX810E
    Sound: Yamaha AC-XG Audio Device

You dont need to install windows 2000 last, I am told. I haven't tried it but I know someone who has.... soooo

Put your xp restore disk in and set up the sony as it was. The get a hold of partition magic or other partitioning software and create a new partiton for 2k.. then install 2k on the new partition and go from there.

Things like not being able to change the screen brightness by keystrokes will not be included in the 2k software as they are obviously special routines written for the sony, but, you should be able to get reasonable functionality otherwise.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Drivers are my problems

Not installation but the drivers!!! THE DRIVERS are my problem. Can you help me with that????

Milan

temper, temper!!
    Not exactly the way to get help here.
    Have you searched for the drivers on the restore disk?Try copying them to a floppy. The cd is going to look for ser. #'s not the drivers themselves.

Noo Noo was correct. Sony, like many other vendors, is only going to support the computer in the factory configuration. If you want to do something different, then you're on your own.
    However, if you go to http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony

people here have done what you want to do.

Regards

Re: Drivers are my problems

Originally posted by Milan
    Not installation but the drivers!!! THE DRIVERS are my problem. Can you help me with that????

Milan
    Drivers I can help with yes, in most cases.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So, was anybody successful? What kind of driver/software needs to be installed for the hot keys to work properly with a "clean" OS?

Thanks for your help.

V.

Welcome to Windrivers V-turn

What windows, exactly which sony? The problems above were due to lack of accurate information. Sony provides drivers for most OS's even when not designed for it... but something just do not work and Sony (as with many other manufacturers) will not invest the R&D to correct the problem

Thank you for your reply, NooNoo,

I have a Vaio PCG-K115B which shipped with XP. I installed Windows 2000 on it and I am looking for a way to get the hot keys to work (to change brightness, volume, etc.)

V.

I have a Vaio PCG-NVR23 and did the same thing. If you go to the first disc of the Application Recovery CDs in explorer open the Drivers folder then open the Sony SL folder and run the Setup.exe program, this will install the Sony shared library files snd then you will be able to install the updates that you need. I have good results doing this. Hope this helps
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhart
    I have a Vaio PCG-NVR23 and did the same thing. If you go to the first disc of the Application Recovery CDs in explorer open the Drivers folder then open the Sony SL folder and run the Setup.exe program, this will install the Sony shared library files snd then you will be able to install the updates that you need. I have good results doing this. Hope this helps
    Thank you for the suggestion. I did not find a way to install the shared libraries separately for my machine (I only have one recovery CD, BTW), but I could download an executable called "Sony Utilities" from vaio-link.com. That seemed to do the trick. All the drivers supplied by Sony (sound, network, video, etc.) work fine with Win2k.

V.

Unhappy

Hi I just bought a sony vaio vgn-s150. I repartitioned the hard drive therefore lost all the recovery Cds. Now all I need is the Sony hotkey utility for VGN-S150. Some body please help me. I cant control my volume or brightness.

Welcome to Windrivers tmjam

Have you checked the downloads for your sony?

vgn-s150 function keys & drivers

hey, i had the same problem until today. I don't usually write on these bulletin boards, but i know the position you're in right now.

I ordered the vgn-s150 recovery cd's from sony. Their parts & reparations phone number is on a sheet that came with your laptop (i dont know it by heart). Order the recovery cds, you should get it 4 business days later.

install watever operating system you want (i put xp pro), when that's done, do an APPLICATION RECOVERY only, not a full system recovery. That'll install all programs that came with your laptop (you select what you want), plus function keys, drivers, and all. So it's cool. The cd's are only $10.50 + $10 shipping so it's worth it.

have fun. it's a great laptop!

Quote Originally Posted by tmjam2002
    Hi I just bought a sony vaio vgn-s150. I repartitioned the hard drive therefore lost all the recovery Cds. Now all I need is the Sony hotkey utility for VGN-S150. Some body please help me. I cant control my volume or brightness.

Talking

Alright, so it turns out it wasn't AS EASY AS I THOUGHT... But now i've got it working so i'm happy!

If you have a Sony VAIO VGN-S150, and want to save the $200 between getting a VGN-S150P (P = Pro, comes with WinXP Pro instead of Home Edition), do this:

- Call Sony Parts & Repairs.
    - Order two Recover DVDs (a VGN-S150 and another for VGN-S150P.
    - Wait 4 days... check your mail... there they are.
    - Load the VGN-S150 Recovery DVD Disk 1 in the drive.
    - Boot up your laptop
    - Let the Recovery DVD enter setup on computer startup.
    - Goto Advanced Settings in the Recovery Wizard
    - Select Recover C and D drives (or whatever it's called)
    - Open your DVD drive.
    - Put the VGN-S150P Recovery DVD Disk 1 in the drive.
    - Obviously close the DVD drive so it starts reading the DVD.
    - Click Next to start the wizard.
    - Wait about 15mins, and Win XP Pro will load.
    - When it asks for Recovery Disk 1 in Windows XP Pro, insert the VGN-S150 DVD Disk 1. This step can be skipped if you don't want any of the Sony Applications (the drivers are already installed).
    - You've just saved $200. Go buy some crack.

The cost of the Recovery DVDs is just $10.50 Canadian, plus $10 for shipping, so really, you're saving good money in the end. Plus you've got a better OS than what you paid for (no, i'm not prasing M$).

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirady
    hey, i had the same problem until today. I don't usually write on these bulletin boards, but i know the position you're in right now.

I ordered the vgn-s150 recovery cd's from sony. Their parts & reparations phone number is on a sheet that came with your laptop (i dont know it by heart). Order the recovery cds, you should get it 4 business days later.

install watever operating system you want (i put xp pro), when that's done, do an APPLICATION RECOVERY only, not a full system recovery. That'll install all programs that came with your laptop (you select what you want), plus function keys, drivers, and all. So it's cool. The cd's are only $10.50 + $10 shipping so it's worth it.

have fun. it's a great laptop!
    Last edited by mkirady; October 6th, 2004 at 05:37 PM.