Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1 + 45 day trial

Thread: Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1 + 45 day trial

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1 + 45 day trial

- Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack 1 (SP1) contains the latest software updates for Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 that improve the reliability, performance and manageability of Virtual PC. Updates have been made to improve the performance of Windows XP Service Pack 2 as a guest in Virtual PC, to improve the manageability of virtual machines when used with SMS 2003 Service Pack 1, and to provide support for running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition as the host operating system.

------------------------------------------

This is a 45-day time-out, full version of the Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 product. No serial number is required.

Download:
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Free 45-Day Trial Edition
    News source: Microsoft

Yes, but why bother?

I mean, its one thing to be able to run a WinOS on a Mac (providing you have whacks of RAM) so that you can expand your choices of software and/or do a gentle migration from WinOS to Mac, but why install Virtual PC on you WinOS machine?

There is no Mac emulation available and why would want to run an even crappier version of WinOS than you've already got on your machine? You'd end up spending most of the 45 day trial just downloading the patches.....

Quote Originally Posted by bazcook
    Yes, but why bother?

I mean, its one thing to be able to run a WinOS on a Mac (providing you have whacks of RAM) so that you can expand your choices of software and/or do a gentle migration from WinOS to Mac, but why install Virtual PC on you WinOS machine?
    I'll tell you why. Virtual PC programs (I prefer VMware) are great for testing new software and simulating network scenarios.

here at work we use virtual pc to support of end users who often have a range of different OS and Office versions. When they call with a windows 98 / office 97 question it's difficult for me to remember when I'm on my XP SP2 machine with office XP. so I fire up my virtual win98 office97 machine and walk them through the steps.

I have also used this technology in a lab enviroment to simulate a complete network enviroment. 2k servers interacting with linux boxes, 98 clients, XP clients, 2k pro clients etc. . . .
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

So great for techies or IT professionals but pretty pointless (and a huge resource hog) for the average home or SOHO user?

And if I was in the mood to 'test drive' an alternate OS, I'd probably go to something like Knoppix and run the trials right off the CD.

Its not enough that Microsoft overcharges for an OS held together with duct tape and the goodwill of its users, now they want you to install another product (which they did not create but now own) to run further versions of their OS?

Chutzpah.

So great for techies or IT professionals but pretty pointless (and a huge resource hog) for the average home or SOHO user?
    did I miss something. when was this technology (including vmware and other products) ever marketed to to home or SOHO user?

the folks who frequent here are IT pros and techies.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Ah yes - the people who frequent *here* are, if not IT pros and techies, at least interested in keeping their computer afloat.

But Microsoft does not necessarily make that distinction at retail - and certainly making a freely available trial of the product off their website does not discourage that opinion.

Virtual PC can be found at many decent computer software stores catering to Win or Mac OS - and when Connectix owned the product it was as common as dirt at any Mac-based store and meant for the common plebes - not just the nerds.

But again, virtual WinOS on a WinOS machine is pretty pointless for a majority of users.

But again, virtual WinOS on a WinOS machine is pretty pointless for a majority of users.
    I use it to test-drive Linux distros on a regular basis. I also have some special-use VPCs (like data recovery tools) that I can boot without having to dedicate a PC to them.

So is Server 2003, ISA Server, SQL Server, Virtual Server, Visio, Access, Power Point.....the list goes on and on. Do you have a point or is it just to state the obvious?

As said before many of the people on these boards are actually computer techs (myself included) and run into these products in the field quite frequenty. It's nice to have a trial version of the product so we are able to answer questions which makes us more valuable to the customer and the company we work for plus it adds to our resume

Bash MS products all you want but the support is great, the products are solid, and plus their products keep most of us employed
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfey
    ...Bash MS products all you want but the support is great, the products are solid, and plus their products keep most of us employed
    Great retort there potstirrer!
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Ah yes - the people who frequent *here* are, if not IT pros and techies, at least interested in keeping their computer afloat.

But Microsoft does not necessarily make that distinction at retail - and certainly making a freely available trial of the product off their website does not discourage that opinion.

Virtual PC can be found at many decent computer software stores catering to Win or Mac OS - and when Connectix owned the product it was as common as dirt at any Mac-based store and meant for the common plebes - not just the nerds.

So if you don't use it, don't buy it, I guess that is the law of supply and demand. I don't really get your point here at all? They make a free trial of it available but who says it is aimed at home users? Is the W2k3 Server trial therefore aimed at home users also?

I on the other hand will still have a requirement for it (or similar) as I support several different MS OS in three different languages. You want me to carry nine laptops around with me or can I use VPC?

emr

Whats the best virtual pc progeram out there?