Getting in shape - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting in shape

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    HOly crap that boxing work out sounds like hell
    it didn't used to be that bad

i tried to get back into it, and made it through 3 total rounds (around 10 minutes) and I felt like I was going to die.

hopefully the running will help get me back to a place where I can get through it 3 times a week.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

sex is a good workout. have plenty of sex.
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    it didn't used to be that bad

i tried to get back into it, and made it through 3 total rounds (around 10 minutes) and I felt like I was going to die.

hopefully the running will help get me back to a place where I can get through it 3 times a week.
    Sounds a little like my kickboxing workout. 5 days a week I train for an hour to an hour and a half. A lot of bag work and mitt drills/combos. I used to smoke, so the workout would just kill me when I first started. My lungs feel so much stronger now after pushing through it.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    It'll be years until your lungs can function properly as the crap from the cancer sticks works it's way out of you.
    That's bullsh!t. Your lungs begin the healing process immediately after you quit smoking. Cleetus, that's why it's not OK to start Cigars, because you will retard the healing process, that process can take years, but lung capacity and breath rates can show improvements immediately.

It doesn't take years, cardio-vascular training can bring up your breathing rate and other pulmonary conditions to a vastly superior place then it was when you were smoking…and not in years, in months you can begin to notice the improvements of training. The problem is that you're probably not in the best of health or shape to begin with...hence the struggle.

Don’t be fooled by the fat guy in the Echo. He just wants the world to be out of shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    That's bullsh!t. Your lungs begin the healing process immediately after you quit smoking. Cleetus, that's why it's not OK to start Cigars, because you will retard the healing process, that process can take years, but lung capacity and breath rates can show improvements immediately.

It doesn't take years, cardio-vascular training can bring up your breathing rate and other pulmonary conditions to a vastly superior place then it was when you were smoking…and not in years, in months you can begin to notice the improvements of training. The problem is that you're probably not in the best of health or shape to begin with...hence the struggle.

Don’t be fooled by the fat guy in the Echo. He just wants the world to be out of shape!
    ditto there. I noticed improvement almost immediately when I quit (and I smoked close to 12 years).
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    ditto there. I noticed improvement almost immediately when I quit (and I smoked close to 12 years).
    I think it varies with the individual, just as how MUCH we smoked varies. It took me about 8 months before I was ready for any kind of exercise routine. But the fact that you are motivated this soon after quitting (in Cleetus' case) is a good sign. Just start slow, and work up to more. Do NOT base your personal exercise routine on what anyone else is doing, at least not at first.

The privacy of having your own equipment, coupled with your personal motivation, should go a long way towards improving your cardio-pulmonary condition.

(hu hu hu hu he said coupled)
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    I think it varies with the individual, just as how MUCH we smoked varies. It took me about 8 months before I was ready for any kind of exercise routine. But the fact that you are motivated this soon after quitting (in Cleetus' case) is a good sign. Just start slow, and work up to more. Do NOT base your personal exercise routine on what anyone else is doing, at least not at first.

The privacy of having your own equipment, coupled with your personal motivation, should go a long way towards improving your cardio-pulmonary condition.

(hu hu hu hu he said coupled)
    Well, I must admit I smoked a pack and half a day, but I also exercised too. Ahh, what better to running two miles and then have a cig? However, afterwards, I wasn't hacking during the run.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    Well, I must admit I smoked a pack and half a day, but I also exercised too. Ahh, what better to running two miles and then have a cig? However, afterwards, I wasn't hacking during the run.
    LOL. Yeah, I bet it is not nearly as punishing now. I quit in June 1998, and it took me a long time to get going afterwards. But I have never so much as taken a puff off of a cigarette in all the time since.

Now I gotta work on the cholesterol thing. In my younger days, it was just fuel to be burned. Not so any more.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    LOL. Yeah, I bet it is not nearly as punishing now. I quit in June 1998, and it took me a long time to get going afterwards. But I have never so much as taken a puff off of a cigarette in all the time since.

Now I gotta work on the cholesterol thing. In my younger days, it was just fuel to be burned. Not so any more.
    I have it high, too. Genetic. I'm on lipitor..from 220 to 165