Best of the Gamecube

Thread: Best of the Gamecube

Best of the Gamecube

I'll be getting a gamecube soon because they are so cheap and I want a source of utterly mindless entertainment. Jonesing for some Mario gaming mainly. I'll be getting a game or three when I buy it and need some recommendations as to the best games on the platform.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Super moneky ball is addicting as hell
    Metroid Prime is just plain bad ***
    Zelda:Windwaker is one of the best zelda games ever made
    Super smash bros is a fun button masher and great for lan parties etc
    Viewtiful joe is just....beautiful and fun
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I have like 15 gamecube games, so i dont have alot of experience with them..but my votes go to:

Super Monkey Ball (either 1 or 2)
    Metroid Prime
    F-Zero GX

super monkey ball, in presentation, seems like a childrens game..but in fact it is much more for older gamers. it is very challenging and addicting. The minigames are quite fun too. I especially enjoy the bowling game. My point is, dont write this one off as a children's game.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Got Metroid Prime for starters. Not extremely impressed with it though it being Metroid counts for enough. A lot of it is tedious backtracking and these damned ghosts are boring as hell to fight.

Will be getting Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros, and a third/fourth controller. Super Smash Brothers does handle four at once, right?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Get a wavebird, they run on RF instead of IR like the older wireless controllers. Very reliable and the batteries have lasted me through 5-6 months now
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

yes..you have to get at least one wavebird. they feel and function exactly like the regular controllers..but no cords. which is especially nice since the cords on the gamecube controllers are really really short. there is no vibration, but you dont really miss it. and the battery life is amazing.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    yes..you have to get at least one wavebird. they feel and function exactly like the regular controllers..but no cords. which is especially nice since the cords on the gamecube controllers are really really short. there is no vibration, but you dont really miss it. and the battery life is amazing.
    ONE! Just ONE!?!?!? You NEED more than one, even if you have no friends and noone else to play with,

No wavebird unless I'm buying an extra controller and I see one for the same price as a used normal controller. This is not a primary gaming system, it is barely even a secondary. Used system, used games, used accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    No wavebird unless I'm buying an extra controller and I see one for the same price as a used normal controller. This is not a primary gaming system, it is barely even a secondary. Used system, used games, used accessories.
    Then get a used wavebird, trust me, you will love it. I was the type of person who was like, WTF do I need a wireless controller for? Then I got one and saw how nice it was to lay underblankets and still play, not have my cat eating the cord with a dazed look in his eyes and not know chit over on the coffee table with the cord.

Internet Linebacker
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. It's the only gamecube game I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra X
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. It's the only gamecube game I own.
    Wow, that must suck

wavebird makes gamecube better. It is not my maing gaming system..hell i havent even turned it on in months. (since the xbox is so much more fun)

but if you plan on playing it at all, you should consider the wavebird. they are usually $5 more than the regular controllers..but well worth it.