[RESOLVED] newcom 33.6fax/data driver

Thread: [RESOLVED] newcom 33.6fax/data driver

JG

Post newcom 33.6fax/data driver

I too am a victim of the defunct Newcom (Nuke'em). I upgraded my Pentium 133 to Win 98 but don't have original install disk for 33.6 data/fax modem, so I can't get on at faster than 19.2. I found drivers on Web but win 98 won't let them install, saying best drivers already installed. Anyone have any suggestions?

+ In Memory of Those Who Died Waiting for the Page to Load +

Assuming you have the drivers from WinDrivers site at
    http://www.windrivers.com/company/atlas/index.htm

you should be able to override the modem already installed.

First, under Start | Settings | Control Panel | System | Device Manager, find and delete the modem out of the list.

Next, run the Add New Hardware wizard and when it asks you if you want Windows to detect the new hardware, say 'no'. From the list of devices pick "Other Devices", and then use "Have Disk" to point Windows to your diskette. Pick your modem from the list. This should override the previous drivers.

Let us know if this works.

Mark

[This message has been edited by schultzz (edited December 19, 1999).]

JG

hey, thanks a lot for your help. But it didn' work. The replacement atlas driver mdmnc3dc.inf, is about 8K, whereas the mdmgen.inf is about 38k. I was able to install the replacement even though the system tells me the existing modem is better. But it didn't work with it anyway, causing various problems, all amounting to not working. So I don't know if there are any other solutions other than locating the missing disk (My ISP's standard answer to any questions is, "You should buy a new modem...You should upgrade this...Spend more money on that." Anyway, if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them. Meanwhile, thanks a lot for your help.

Hmmm...I had no problems with the Newcom modem I was working with. What model do you have? Check the modem itself for the number - the modem I worked on had the model number on a sticker on one of the chips.

Does this modem have jumpers? If so, you may want to try disabling PnP and run with a manual setting to see if that works. Sometimes PnP sets your card to some really odd settings that never seem to work right.

Post what you find out, perhaps we can help a little more.

Mark

JG

OK, it took a while but I located the missing disk. The board does have jumpers and I reset them for PnP, reset them for no PnP, used manufacturer's driver, Win98 driver, tried it every which way. Now the system does not recognize that the modem is there at all. I tried putting it back to all the original settings, which were slow but at least worked, even reloaded Win98, but the modem just doesn't work. Help! (I'm sending this post from work.)

JG

All right, I finally got it to work, but it's still slow as molasses. I've gone on several modem line test sites and they show it operating at 33.6, but it operates much too slow to make it even worth using. I've got a 5x86/133 clone w/win 98. Could this all be just too powerful for my puny machine? Are there any port settings or anything that may be slowing it down so much?