Mind Boggler

Thread: Mind Boggler

Mind Boggler

I recently came across an old Gateway Destination PC. It peaked my interest because it was exactly what I had been searching for. The only problem is it's too old for my tastes, so I'm looking to rebuild it with newer components.

I've located all the suitable replacements except for the MOBO. It had an old PII and I looking to give it a P4. The Mobo had a # on it E139761

Everything looks pretty standard with the exception of one contact between the 4th and 5th PCI slot that attaches to the rear AV box via a ribbon cable. It almost looks as if it's a MIDI port but can't find any verification on it. If anyone out there has any idea on where to locate more detailed info on this please let me know.

A quick google suggests its a renamed Intel SE440BX2 : http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-013640.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    A quick google suggests its a renamed Intel SE440BX2 : http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-013640.htm
    This looks like the MB I jsut removed but I was looking for it's P4 equal.

I can't stand the old 98 OS and wish to upgrade the whole system kepping only the Case and AV connections. It came with an ATI AIW card and a Graphics accelorator which they still make newer versions of, so those aren't an issue.

I'm thinking an ASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe should work fine but I just wanted to see if anyone else knew of a better one before I went and spent the money on it.

Better is in the eye of the beholder.

If the board is a good make, within budget and does everything you need, then it's suitable. If you wanted to get an "equivalent" board then maybe you should be looking at original Intel boards. Asus are a good make in my book and it's got just about every port you would ever need. If it fits in the case and you have got a good reliable powersupply - go for it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by 7he_l3AR0N
    This looks like the MB I jsut removed but I was looking for it's P4 equal.
    You asked for information on that board there is no "equivalent P4" as the architecture is some 20 Years advanced???

If the board is an ATX standard size and the outlets on the back plate are not fixed then you have a choice of boards.

This is your board

and this is a P4

Last edited by Archer; October 15th, 2004 at 02:45 PM.

I'm sure I can get an Asus board to work but, I was a little hesitant due to the connector between the 3rd and 4th PCI slot. I'm pretty sure it's a MIDI port. When I compare the PSU connections there is one that is not seen on any ATX model that I've seen. It supplies power to the rear AV box which is located where a rear fan would normally be.

But if I get it to work, I'll have an awesome Entertainment PC, and can eliminate all the other crap connected in my entertainment center.

This is the back of it

And the Front.

Just looking at the case appears to show that a modern board is unlikely to fit but you never know...

Perhaps Gateway Destination Forum or similarly dedicated forum can answer the question.