Computer Restart Problem

Thread: Computer Restart Problem

Computer Restart Problem

Everytime I want to restart my computer it will shut down and act as if it is restarting then it will go into a kinda of stand by mode and it wont reboot (the monitor will turn off, but the computer will still be running). Can someone help me? Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by flashsinz
    Everytime I want to restart my computer it will shut down and act as if it is restarting then it will go into a kinda of stand by mode and it wont reboot (the monitor will turn off, but the computer will still be running). Can someone help me? Thank You.
    Check your ram. Do you have any know good sticks you could swap out?
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

What OS are you using?

Wndows98 had a reputation for faulty shutdowns.

Well its a brand new computer, I bought it early June 04'. Im running Windows XP Pro also.

I would boot in safe mode [keep hitting f8 when your computer post]. I'm thinking it could be a driver not playing with Windows xp. If you can shut down the system in safe mode without any problems.. I would guess a driver is causing the issue. Any new hardware/software added that could cause this issue?

Check your bois settings. It may have something to do with (someone help me here, I am so tired right now) ACPI settings? Power management? Or zzzzzzzzzz.. crash
    Get me a soldering iron and some duct tape, and I'll see what I can do.

Well I added a web cam not to long ago. I cant remember if I was having this problem before i added it or not. The thing shuts down perfect and everything, just when I restart it screws up. Ahh I will try that safe mode thing.

Also, I HAD to install a windows security update for the school I am going to, to let me use the internet (I live in a dorm).
    Last edited by flashsinz; October 5th, 2004 at 02:11 AM.

Ok I started the computer in safe mode and then I restarted it and it restarted fine.

OK, does it restart fine from normal mode now? Or does it still do odd things?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My Guess.

My guess: Drivers causing the issue or the security updates you applied.. I would disconnect the web camera and maybe uninstall the software and see if the problem goes away.. Note: maye sure you have your web camera software handy before you uninstall it. [move any web cam photos you want to keep to another directory].. If this corrects the problem, try going to your web cam's website and see if any new drivers posted for windows xp. If the above doesn't solve the issue.. It may be one of the security updates.. Are you using SP2?

Well my school uses Smart Enforcer, that allows us to get on and use the internet. We had to download the Windows Sercurity Update like 2 weeks ago for the internet to work again. I will try uninstalling my digital camera though.

Well now I noticed my computer will go into sleep mode for about 2 minutes without me touching it. Then it will turn back on for a while then go right back into sleep mode. Sorry I dont know anything about computers, but the thing is brand new and I know it shouldn't be doing this.

then take it back to where you bought it. Beginning to sound like an iffy power supply.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."