System rebooting while playing - Radeon 9800 SE

Thread: System rebooting while playing - Radeon 9800 SE

System rebooting while playing - Radeon 9800 SE

Hi.

Recently I bought a RADEON 9800 SE and, in the beginning it was ok, but since a few weeks, perhaps months, while playing ANY game it reboots randomly. It can do it in 5 minutes or half an hour, but my computer allways reboots.

I searched in many forums and it seems like there are many people with this issue, so I hope somebody in this forum can help me, as I can play CSS for a long time until it crashes... damn on_6.gif

My system config is:

Last Catalyst installed
    AMD K7XP 2400+
    512 DDR 333
    420W PowerSupply
    60GB HD
    RADEON 9800 SE 128

Any idea?? please, I don't know what to do... If I don't solve this problem this weekend surely I'm changing this card for another one...

BTW, if I decide to buy nvidia instead of ati for preventing possible compatibilitie problems, which card do you guys recommend me?

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar
    So, this all began after you installed the new video card?

I had a similar problem, and it was even with Counter Strike also. It turns out I just had a bad stick of memory. Do you have one or two sticks? You might try to take one of them out, if you have two sticks, and play it for a little while and see if it still reboots, switch it out and try the other. This is just an idea if it turns out not to be the video card since I'm sure it'd be a wee bit cheaper to replace a stick of ram than the 9800
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

I tested the memory, the CPU, HDs... and then determined the 9800 was the one causing such a problem. In fact, suddenly, when switching on my computer, the motherboard started to beep in such an order that means "no graphic card or bad graphic card memory".

I changed it today (using the warranty) for a new one... that was broken as well ¬¬'

Finally, I changed it for a Radeon9800 256 (for the same price) and I'm testing it in a few minutes... I'll post how is it going then

Thks for your help

Finally,it worked.

The new one works fine, so that was the problem... Tonight, Counter Strike Source Awaits me!

Thks for your help