Cable modem and Cable TV

Thread: Cable modem and Cable TV

Wink Cable modem and Cable TV

Hi,
    I heard whiles back from a friend that he had cable modem (AT&T@home) service and he was able to split the cable line to his TV and watch basic cable TV and be online. Is this true and can someone shed some light on the issue?

Sorry, I’m new to this (budget problems)...

im not sure but if it is i will stop paying for cable and just pay for the modem cuase right now im paying for both. Please let me know if you find out.
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

Smile

Hey snooper2,
    Well, today I met someone who worked for AT&T and he said that all I would have to do is just split the cable going into the modem and take it to the TV. I don’t have either, so I’ll give cable modem a try (it’s 2 months free) and if I can’t get free cable TV, I’ll just cancel it. So I’ll keep you informed on this post.

Well, if anyone knows for sure, can you please reply? I promise when I get a decent job, I’ll pay for both ok?

I believe it depends entirely on how the installer runs/connects the cable from the source. At least one of my clients was definitely able to get free cable TV service after getting a cable modem account. His installer told him he installed the open connection.....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

The TV signal is still on the cable going into the cable modem. The installer always runs a dedicated line directly to the cable modem that is NOT tapped or split in order to get the highest signal level possible to the modem. You can split it and send a feed to your TV (just don't tell the cable company) but you may degrade the performance of your modem.

Well, when I use to live in Ottawa I had @home too. You Had to have their cable package before you could get the cable modem installed. They would'nt let you just get internet access without getting cable TV. The only reason I can figure they would insist on this is because they know that an joe average can buy a $5 splitter at radio shack and get free basic cable when they have a cable modem. The setup I had was exactly that after the cable guy left. There was a splitter with one line going to the decoder box on my TV and the other to the cable modem. I now live in gatineau and I have videotron. they don't insist on you having their cable package to get the net access but I've never thought to split the Cable to see if I get TV access too.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap