Operating system NOT found! Help!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Operating system NOT found! Help!!!

Unhappy Operating system NOT found! Help!!!

hello

I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 - Win Xp - Home edition

well .. yesterday the blue screen appeared and my laptop shut down

when i tried to start it again this thing appeared to me:::

Intel (R) Boot Agent Version 3.0.03
    Copyright (c) 1997-200,Intel Corporation

PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable.
    PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel PXE ROM

Operating System not found.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

PLEASE help me what to do ???? and does that mean that i've lost every thing ?!!!

Welcome to WinDrivers, dalloo.

First thing to check is if there is an option for "Boot from Network" that's got enabled in the BIOS, that can cause the message if you're not actually booting from a network.
    Last edited by Platypus; October 17th, 2004 at 09:58 AM.

Hi Platypus

umm.. the problem is that the message above appears at start up

and i'm not that expert in computers

so would you explain more plz

and thnx alot for replying

OK dalloo, the message you're getting is one that can appear on a system that has a network connection built-in, and is trying to find its system files on that network connection. There can be other reasons, but this is the simplest cause to try first.

When the system starts, there will usually be an instruction on the screen as to which key to press if you want to enter the BIOS setup. Many systems use the Del key, but on a proprietary system like yours it might be F1, F2, F10 or a combination like maybe Ctrl/Esc.

When this instruction shows at startup, press the appropriate key, and you'll be shown a screen or screens of options for how the computer has hardware components set. Depending on how your BIOS screen is laid out, if an option to "Boot from Network" is enabled, it should be turned off, or if "First Boot Device" is set to "Network", it should be changed to a setting like "HDD0", or on a laptop where there can normally only be one hard drive, likely just HDD.

If you find an inappropriate setting like this and change it, save and exit from the BIOS setup, the system will restart and should boot Windows from the hard drive as normal.

If you don't find any incorrect setting, we may then need to consider further whether you may have a problem with the hard drive or its connections.
    Last edited by Platypus; October 18th, 2004 at 09:54 AM.

Thnx Platypus for the quick reply

but i didn't find any incorrect setting

OK this could be a warranty job if you are unlucky.

Is the network listed in bios as being one of the boot options? If so, it means the machine tried all the other boot options - did not find anything and wound up trying the network. It detected the network wasn't working and is helpfully giving you a message to that effect.

Can you list what order the laptop is set to for booting?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hello NooNoo

sorry i didn't understand what you've said..

ok so .. I'm facing the BIOS screen .. and on the upper row these are the options: Main / System Devices / Security / Boot / Exit

On Main page the changable options are :: system time , system date , quiet boot and vedio display device

On the system devices page these are the changable:: IDE Controller / Internal Touchpad / Intel (r) speedStep (TM) / Legacy USB Support / Serial port / Base I/0 address / interrupt/ parallel port / Mode / Base I/0 address / interrupt / DMA channel

On the Boot page (not changable):: cd-rom drive / removable devices / hard drive / intel (r) boot agent

what next plz? lol

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalloo
    Hello NooNoo

sorry i didn't understand what you've said..

ok so .. I'm facing the BIOS screen .. and on the upper row these are the options: Main / System Devices / Security / Boot / Exit

On Main page the changable options are :: system time , system date , quiet boot and vedio display device

On the system devices page these are the changable:: IDE Controller / Internal Touchpad / Intel (r) speedStep (TM) / Legacy USB Support / Serial port / Base I/0 address / interrupt/ parallel port / Mode / Base I/0 address / interrupt / DMA channel

On the Boot page (not changable):: cd-rom drive / removable devices / hard drive / intel (r) boot agent

what next plz? lol
    I've never heard of the boot options not being able to be changed in the bios, but that I guess it doesn't really matter since your order appears to be correct.

Here's a dumb question, do you have a floppy disk in the drive when you are booting?
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo

Here's a dumb question, do you have a floppy disk in the drive when you are booting?
    NOPE

Hi
    If you've got a warranty on this I would contact them asap, if not there are a number of actions you could take.
    A cause of this could be your hard drive has failed.
    What did the blue screen say? Please post.
    On the main boot screen there may be a liist of hard drives installed. Have you got this and is anything listed?
    If you are running XP and have an XP disc and not a recovery disk you could boot from the CD into the Recovery console? Can you see the C drive? If you can then post back here if you cannot then you may need a new drive and full re-install.
    Unplug any USB devices and try booting - I've had a USB device throw that on me .

Hello NooNoo
    Thees usually an explanation either at the bottom,right or by pressing the F1 key on how to change the order but usually you highlight them [up/down keys] and use the + or - key to move them up or down the boot order.

Did you check you do not have a CDRom disk installed?
    What did the main screen say about the harddrive i.e. is it detected?

Operating System

What I am thinking is that the boot sector (area of the hard disk that allows your computer to start up) is damaged (not physically). You might need to boot with your windows XP cd and repair the master boot record from the repair console.
    Don't ask me... I just work here.

Hello.

I got the same problem on a laptop recently. It was due to a faulty CD Drive. The problem would not go away until I fitted the exact same CD Drive model. It didn't work with any other brands or makes, only the exact model, then it started working again.

Mist.

hello

PLEASE help me what to do ???? and does that mean that i've lost every thing ?!!!
    BAD HARD DRIVE. It is most likely that the hard drive has died and it could mean that the data is lost. Dell usually gives diagnostics on the CDs provided with the system. Run those and if you don't have them they can be download from Dells website. Also remember that backing up is always a good idea. I can't tell you how many times I have said that to people. Especially the ones that have a back up solution like another HardDrive, CD/DVD-RWs, or ZIP Drives.
    Last edited by BOB IROC; October 20th, 2004 at 08:41 AM.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Lightbulb PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable

I received the same Media test failure message today and thought I'd post my solution. I tried reseating the drives in the Gateway notebook computer I'm using. Still no operating system found. Changing the boot order had no effect.

Choices: CD/DVD-ROM, Removable Media, 1st HDD, 2nd HDD, LAN

I disabled the LAN in BIOS and noticed when I rebooted and reentered the BIOS that the boot to LAN Option had disappeared in the boot order section of the BIOS. I reenabled the LAN in BIOS, saved changes, rebooted and SUCCESS!

If the PXE Network Boot Service is built into the BIOS (i.e., BIOS integrated firmware), there is a problem with the BIOS that can't be resolved without an updated BIOS. Hopefully an update of the BIOS will solve the problem.

Play with the settings in the BIOS. I suspect that many of these boot failures (especially where no prior difficulties existed) are simply the result of the BIOS losing its mind.

I expect better from system manufacturers but it wouldn't be the 1st time I've run across a BIOS that was FUBAR!

My $0.02

F. Fota

hello