Startup Error - 1962: No operating system found.

Thread: Startup Error - 1962: No operating system found.

Question Startup Error - 1962: No operating system found.

When I start my computer this message pops up:

1962: No operating system found. Press F1 to repeat boot sequence.

I've done some looking around and I haven't found a clear answer. It started happening last night, it was weird. I was reading and I had Photoshop open, then the computer froze up, restarted and the message popped up.

Anyone know whats the problem?

BTW,
    I can't find my Windows 98 disk, so that's not an option.

Hello Beonarri and Welcome to WD forums,
    Please give more details in order to assist you better.
    What is the computer Make and Model (IMHO its IBM but I hate guessing) and hardware inventar.

Check the computer BIOS to see if the HDD is being detected correctly

Check the computer's BIOS for the Boot sequence (the order in which The BIOS seek a device with a Bootable operation System). Verify that the HDD is on the list.
    Boot you comuter with a Floppy containing MSDOS Boot Strap (just go to a computer with a win9x system and do
    Code:
    format a:/u/s
    and see if you can access you HDD and see the Files on the first partition:
    Code:

a:\>c:
    c:\>dir
    This will tell you there is Valid Partition on the HDD.

I will be lurking here for your response,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

My computer is back up and running!
    I looked around the net for some information on the error and it turns out a simple Boot Disk fix is all it needed.
    Thanks for you help anyways, Gab!!

Here's the link for the info:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...highlight=1962

It's the forth poster.

Okay nix everything I said in my last message.
    The fix was apparently only temporary. I got everything up and running again but now the message still pops up.
    I've tried 1-6 and 8 in the instructions from the other forum post I listed previously and I even changed out the IED cable to the harddrive, but still nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My computer is an IBM, I can't remember the model number (it's like two years old).

And I should also mention that the BIOS is not listing the harddrive in the system summary and I have my CDROM drive and floppy drives on different IEDs.

Hi,
    Somehow i had the feeling it as an IBM machine...
    First guess is that your MBR or FAT is bad. (MBR is the Master Boot Record where the HDD stores the initial instructrion for booting, FAT is the Table where all the files are marked).
    Get to a situation where you can boot your computer to an OS (using the steps you did previously). Backup the Data you have on the computer to another computer or Storage Media. Replace the Hard drive and Install OS from Scratch. Restore your Data.

On a side note - IBM has a BAD reputation about HDD's. In fact IBM moved the DATA storage manufacturing to HITACHI.

IMHO the Storage system on your computer starts to show problems. so you better make corrective measures (as backup, replace the drive and start from Scratch).

For finding up your exact computer model (for contacting IBM, they have pretty good support site - maybe because they sell crappy computers ) Look on the computer Case there is a Patch with Serial number on it. GO on IBM site/Support and Put the serial. You will have a lot of relative information there.

IED - I believe you should say IDE. I find it hard to believe that the CDROM and floppy are "sitting" on the same DATA tibon (I saw it on Dell computer though) because this makes it non Standard.

Hope I helped you,
    Gabriel
    Last edited by Gabriel; October 19th, 2004 at 05:51 AM.

Talking

I ended up having to buy a new harddrive.
    As it turns out my harddrive was the problem, part of it got corrupted.
    Luckily I was able to back up everything so all is now well.

Actually better, the harddrive is three times larger than my old one.

Thanks for the help Gab!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beonarri
    I ended up having to buy a new harddrive.
    As it turns out my harddrive was the problem, part of it got corrupted.
    Luckily I was able to back up everything so all is now well.

Actually better, the harddrive is three times larger than my old one.

Thanks for the help Gab!!
    You are welcome
    Don't throw away the Old HDD, it can be used as a Mass storage Media (Usb cases are very cheap and handy).

All well,
    Gabriel

Actually

This error indicates the jumpers on the drive are in the wrong place. Switch to C/S or Cable Select, if you are already in C/S then switch to Master.

I've duplicated this with several IBM Thinkcentres.

I found this thread by googling 1962 operating system so in case anyone else ever gets this problem I thought I'd write an account of my experience today.

I found that the cause of my error was the addition of a new DVD writer as the main optical drive. I had performed several upgrades today such as adding RAM and adding an extra hard disk so when I got the error code, the last thing I suspected was the DVD writer.

The way I got around the problem was I returned the original CD writer in the machine, set it to master and set the DVD writer as the slave. After that everything was good. I should mention that when I say "original CD writer" it's actually an after market one since the optical device that came with the machine was a read only CD drive.

By the way, I'm running an IBM NetVista (nearing 5 years old) and running Windows XP. IBMs seem to have problems with the optical devices since I couldn't boot up Ubuntu with the original read only CD drive. Changing the CD drive seemed to fix the problem (I could boot up from the Ubuntu disk) but when I installed it on to the hard drive, it couldn't boot up Ubuntu. IBMs are just weird!

My hard disk was fine, although I ended up changing the main hard disk from C/S to Master. The reason I know the hard disk is fine because all the problems went away when I uninstalled the new DVD writer.

Welcome to Windrivers Nez

Just a thought, did you change the IDE cable for the optical drives, or did you use the original?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you for the welcome NooNoo.

I used the original IDE cables for the optical drives and I used another one for my hard disks. I don't think the IDE cables were the problem since I mixed and matched them several times today and it had no effect.

By the way, it may seem that I'm generalising about IBMs through my personal experiences but earlier this year, I encountered several posts on an Ubuntu forum about people having problems with IBMs and optical drives.

Interesting quirk ... Maybe it's about dma settings in bios then?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

when resizing partition using Ubuntu Linux,
    I had it installed on virtual

I got operating system not found error.. even though I resized using free space... so thats the last time I do that ...

one I did resize, it said OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND

SAFE MODE, last known good configuration and other stuff will not work..

1.I BOOTED FROM XP CD, ensuring cd was a boot device.. (on dell inspiron 6400 you press f12 and then select cd-rom from the device list)
    2. see if Repair Installation is available
    if yes.. do a repair installation I guess...
    if no... restart machine, boot from XP cd again, then
    go to RECOVERY CONSOLE (press r when prompted)

3. in recovery console it should fix c: and say unreadable perhaps... when you try dir ..

type:
    fixmbr
    fixboot
    it will say ONLY do this if you can't boot, which should be the case.

could not load autochk.exe
    now you shoudl be able to see the windows loading screen.
    The problem is a HIDDEN partition.
    when windows loads it will say
    could not load autochk.exe
    http://www.pchell.com/support/autochknotfound.shtml

Now I have a LAPTOP with no floppy drive, and I wasted a good at least 10 CDs trying to get the thing to boot, and fix what I needed.

Basically you need any tool that can create a bootable CD(for laptops ..) allowing you to hide or unhide partitions
    i.e. changing the partition type number.

Solution: GET ACRONIS PARTITION EXPERT

I am not sure if the trial can burn to a cd, but the professional version can, and then you boot from this CD, and follow the instructions at
    http://www.pchell.com/support/autochknotfound.shtml
    which basically involve changing the partition to NTFS type(assuming it was NTFS originally I guess..)
    0x07
    if you tried to install Ubuntu Linux the number will be some Linux number like 0x17... so change to 0x07

Alternate Solution: get a bootable floppy with ptedit and boot from it
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...ies/ptedit.zip

The number here should generally be 07 (hex), meaning the partition is an "Installable File System", in other words a bootable drive. If its anything else its not bootable.

Using your tab key, tab down to the Type box and hold down ALT + T to open the Set Type menu, then with your keyboard arrow, select 07, tab down to Ok and press Enter

8) Hold down ALT + S to Save Changes to the partition table and then Press CTRL +C to exit out of the program.

COnclusion:
    the problem is if the number is not 07... it is a hidden partition.