ATI Rage 128 Pro driver installation

Thread: ATI Rage 128 Pro driver installation

ATI Rage 128 Pro driver installation

I am trying to install the latest driver -- downloaded from ATI website -- for Windows 2000 SP1. However, the installation aborts and complains that the driver is not compatible with my display device. Two questions:

1. Is it a problem with the monitor? If yes, I have a Samsung 753DFX monitor.

2. If not, is it an ATI driver issue?

More importantly, do I need to get a new SP for WIn2k or something?

Btw, I had the setup working fine till about last weekend when Windows machine unceremoniously crashed -- effectively losing all the data as well as settings. I am getting the above problem during re-installation.

I am unable to install the monitor driver as well. The installer crashes on startup. I am trying to install the monitor driver from original Samsung CD provided with the monitor.

WHat is going on? Is the default Win 2000 install in need of a higher SP?

Please help!

WElcome to WD kwr2k

So the machine crashed and youve done a complete reinstall of Win2K w/SP1?
    Why not get the SP4 to be fully updated with all the security and other fixes?

Have you tried using the orignial drivers that ATI supplied you with?

Monitor has nothing to do with it. What is the make/model of the video card? May have been modified by manufacturer so that ati driver does not work.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

More info

Thanks for the prompt replies guys!

My video card is ATI Rage 128 Pro
    My monitor is Samsung Syncmaster 753DFX

Both were recognized the first time without hitch ...

The only change I made during reinstall was the choice of Filesystem -- instead of choosing NTFS I chose FAT32. Do you think that could have caused this issue?

I ask this since I upgraded to SP4 and did not give any relief to my woes.

"Monitor" type does not show up in the Device Manager list at all. Also, if I go to Control Panel -> Display -> Settings (tab) -> Advanced -> Monitor, it does not enable the "Properties..." button for the monitor either, so I could not follow the help provided by Windows on how to troubleshoot the monitor.
    I reckon something is going wrong during install itself where it fails to pick up Plug-n-Play devices. However, in my case it seems to be only the monitor

I have tried updating to SP4, as I said above, but did not help. I did read in the Release Notes for SP4 that it fixes the problems of windows not detecting PnP devices correctly.

Please help!

Have you tried both drivers posted on the ATI web site? http://www.ati.com/support/products/...=11&submit.y=6 Make sure you uninstall the first before installing the second.

Although ATI makes cards, they also supply video chips to other manufacturers. ATI Rage 128 Pro is the chip on your video card. Do you know who made the card? If it was made by someone else, the standard ATI driver may not work.

As far as your monitor, boot into safe mode. At a command prompt type: set devmgr_view_nonpresent_devices=1. In device manager, select view hidden devices. Delete all monitors shown. Reboot and let windows redetect the monitor.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

It worked ... but

As i said in my previous post, I suspected the filesystem chosen during install has something to do with it .... dunno why but it turned out to be true. I re-re-installed using NTFS and everything is hunky dory now ...

btw, thanks for all replies.

Just to keep things in perspective, I am a linux user and this has been my first serious stint with Windows troubleshooting (primarily because my wife's been after me to get it done!)

Glad to see you got it sorted. The reinstall may have fixed it, but there's no way the file system should have anything to do with it.

@hudsonsmith

I did reinstall at least 4 times with FAT32 before switching to NTFS, so it seemed the only logical deduction. But I am no expert at Windows.

Definately, if there's a "correct" explanation, I would love to be in the know of it.

Thanks!

With Windows, I suspect there is no correct explanation, just move on