Setup problem?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setup problem?

Question Setup problem?

I am trying to get a friends laptop to address the network. I fear this is an iterative process. I will list my efforts to date and the symptoms. The computer is a HP Pavilion laptop running win 2000. I have tried a pcimia card and a usb to ethernet adapter. Each initially would not alow ping and would not network indicating they were sending but not receiving. I uninstalled clientand protocol then reinsstalled after a full shutdown. I can now ping 127.0.0.1. The adapter lights the light on teh router the pcimia card does not both indicate send but no receive. Any advise is most welcome.

Do you have access to a computer to obtain the latest drivers?

What are your other network settings? Are you connected to a router and how is your IP Address assigned? (ipconfig /all)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Eyed
    Do you have access to a computer to obtain the latest drivers?

What are your other network settings? Are you connected to a router and how is your IP Address assigned? (ipconfig /all)
    green eyed
    I have downloaded and installed new drivers for all devices. I updated the bios and all the normal things.
    As I said ther symptoms are the same for three different devices and several configurations.
    Currently I have dhcp enabled and a very basic TCP/IP configuration and am using a router as a test vehicle. I have insured the cable is good and see the light on the router port light during test. I am unable to ping the router although the 127.0.0.1 ping is successful.
    The trey indication however consistently shows unconnected and status show transmitting but no receiving.
    Appreciate any guidance you may offer.

Have you tried manually assigning an ip address? You can check this by running ipconfig /all, but it sounds like the router is not assigning an ip.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Have you tried manually assigning an ip address? You can check this by running ipconfig /all, but it sounds like the router is not assigning an ip.
    I have not tried that I will do so this evening. I think this is not a likely because the problem has exhibited the same problem while attached to more than one network. But will try all possibilities at this point I am really scratching.

Angry

Trying to resurect this item with additional data. Had a more knowledgable friend look at the laptop this weekend and he installed a CD version of linux. The results were similar to what I had found the laptop seemed totaly functional but the only indication of problem being the indication that the cable was not connected. I am trying to come up with a common point of failure that would give this indication with two different operating systems and on both a pcmcia and a USB adapter. Any thoughts most welcome.

If the port shows the connection on the router, make sure you dont have MAC filtering turned on on the router. If you do allow the MAC from that laptop access.

What do you get for IP info running IPCONFIG?

If not getting IP from router and having tried different cards i would suspect common denominator of router.

Tried your recommendation with the following result then tried something else and have more data but no answer. When I set the filter to off and used the USB adapter I still get the cable not connected. I then connected my USB wireless d-link 100 adapter to the same USB connection and got connectivity. I am really confused does this give you a lead?

could you run ipconfig /all and post the result?
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

I will post both the ipconfig I obtain with the direct link and that obtained with the wireless adapter as soon as I return home this evening, hopefully that will provide the information you need to define my problem. I appreciate greatly your consideration of this problem.

I tried to attach the IPCONFIG screen prints but it will not let me paste them in this and I get an error telling me that the max file size for an attachment is 1 byte. Please advise me how to provide the information.

Quote Originally Posted by robertdwhite
    I tried to attach the IPCONFIG screen prints but it will not let me paste them in this and I get an error telling me that the max file size for an attachment is 1 byte. Please advise me how to provide the information.
    No attachments allowed here despite what it says - sorry - either host/get someone to host them or resort to typing it out !

Or .. Copy/Paste in a DOS Prompt window might help you

Thanks for the advice on that trace commmand I will try it when I have a chance but for this I will just fat finger it in exccuse the typos:
    the belkin direct link:

host name..........................:qdc-lt
    Primary DNS Suffix...............:
    Node Type..........................:Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled................:No
    WINS Proxy Enabled..............: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix.....:
    Description................................: Belkin USB Ethernet Adapter
    Physical address.........................: 00-05-1b-01-42-BB
    DHCP Enabled.............................:Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.............:Yes
    Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway..........................:
    DNS Servers................................:

The Wireless:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Description................................: D-Link DWL-120 wireless USB Adapter
    IP Address..................................: 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway..........................:192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server................................:192.168.0.1
    then lease obtained data

I hope this provides some useful information. Please advise me of any direction to pursue.

Can I have another summary/clarification of just whats wrong again ? (sorry to be a 'pita' but this seems to me entirely unclear so far ) .. at the moment I'm thinking we've got resolution issues & no actual connectivity problems - as we seem to have no DNS server or wins server & be relying on netbios only ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Can I have another summary/clarification of just whats wrong again ? (sorry to be a 'pita' but this seems to me entirely unclear so far ) .. at the moment I'm thinking we've got resolution issues & no actual connectivity problems - as we seem to have no DNS server or wins server & be relying on netbios only ?
    I am trying to get a friends laptop to address the network. I fear this is an iterative process. I will list my efforts to date and the symptoms. The computer is a HP Pavilion laptop running win 2000. I have tried two different pcimia cards, usb to ethernet adapter and a wireless USB d-link 120 adapter. Each initially would not allow ping and would not network. The status indicating they were sending but not receiving. I uninstalled client and protocol then reinstalled after a full shutdown. I can now ping 127.0.0.1. The adapter lights the light on the router the pcimia card and the adapter both indicate send but no receive. I have downloaded and installed new drivers for all devices. I updated the bios and all the normal things.
    As I said the symptoms are the same for three different interface devices(2 different pcmcia cards and a USB to ethernet adapter) and several configurations. The with the only setup that I have been able to fget to work being a wireless USB connection.
    Currently I have dhcp enabled and a very basic TCP/IP configuration and am using a router as a test vehicle. I have insured the cable is good and see the light on the router port light during test. I am unable to ping the router although the 127.0.0.1 ping is successful. The trey indication however intermittently shows unconnected and status show transmitting but no receiving.
    Appreciate any guidance you may offer. The IPConfig data for two configurations is below.
    the belkin direct link:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 7:

Description................................: Belkin USB Ethernet Adapter
    Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway..........................:

The Wireless:

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 8:

Description................................: D-Link DWL-120 wireless USB Adapter
    IP Address..................................: 192.168.0.100
    Subnet Mask...............................:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway..........................:192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server................................:192.168.0.1
    then lease obtained data

Confused you are no pita it is giving me fits as well. I believe I had multiple problems one of which was a bad pcmcia card but this still remaining I don't know what it is. I think the above sumarizes all I know at the moment but will be glad to clarify in response to any questions you may have.
    Thanks for the interest.
    Last edited by robertdwhite; November 4th, 2004 at 08:42 AM.