16x DVD-ROM not reading correctly

Thread: 16x DVD-ROM not reading correctly

16x DVD-ROM not reading correctly

My DVD-ROM drive is not reading correctly. Any DVD/CD I put in it dosn't read. I open it up to "explore" and the only file that it shows in there everytime no matter what CD or DVD is always a "track00.cda" and it's 1kb, it shows the CD/DVD as always 0 megs too.

My DVD-ROM appears as a CD-ROM in "My Computer" but right clicking in the device manager tab reads it as the normal IDE 16x DVD drive. It says the driver is working correctly, and it has no errors whatsoever. I tried uninstalling the driver rebooting and letting windows do it again.

It was working correctly I am sure of before, I put it some rounded 80pin IDE cables, then reformatted, (about 3 weeks ago). I am using Windows XP Pro.

It is detected properly in bios as the DVD-ROM. I am using an ASUS P4C800E motherboard if you need that kinda information. It is plugged in correctly.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate this.

Have you tried using the drive in another PC? Also, I had a similar issue with an old creative labs DVD Rom Drive, it wouldnt read DVD at all anymore, just CD's. Your drive may be shot.

I would try and plug into another PC, or maybe try and switch cables. ( Might be a faulty cable but doubt it since it does find A file)...

IS there a firmware upgrade you can flash the drive with?
    Have you flashed the Bios of your MotherBoard?
    What DVD Software are you using?
    W

I am just using the windows drivers, no firmwire update, my parts are still under warranty though. I havn't flashed my bios before.

To my knowledge, Windows cannot play DVD by it self. You need DVD software in order to be able to play DVD's.

Did you have and DVD software such as:

WinDVD

This software should contain the proper codecs in order for you to be able to play DVD's on your PC.

I do not know of any Freeware versions you could use but someone else may have a better idea..
    W

It's not just watching DVDs, nothing reads in the DVD-Rom, not audio cds, not games, or dvds for that matter. It's not about playing the DVDs it's about to get the DVD drive to read stuff

Ahh sorry! Missed that

DO you have another PC available to try the drive in? It would be a quick way to eliminate it being a hardware vs software issue.

What about the Pins teh cable connects to? None of them are bent or broken? Maybe a bad cable? Try using your old cables to eliminate that as an issue? Hoep my sujestions help.. Let me know what you find out..
    W

I tried the cables, same thing. I don't have another computer to try it in. I tried contacting the company see what they would say and if they'd send me another. Havn't heard back from them.. This bites =(

Quote Originally Posted by Crydee
    I tried the cables, same thing. I don't have another computer to try it in. I tried contacting the company see what they would say and if they'd send me another. Havn't heard back from them.. This bites =(
    Mmmm that's not good ! - in the meantime you might like to make certain the unit is 'dead' ... set your bios to boot from CDrom (make sure the 'errant' dvd is the only cdr type device connected - try using your 40 sense cables for this {the 'old' ones} many cd type units only like these not 'new' {80 sense} ones ), find your windoze cd & try booting from that - this'll give us a good idea of whether its alive or dead ... needless to say don't proceed with anything the cd might want to change..

If that'll 'read' sucessfully we have a windows 'issue' if it won't keep on trying to get your money back

CD RW Drive

I had a CD RW which has the same problem too, only show track00.cda. But it only applies to a new empty disc.After i burn something into a new disc, it only shows track00.cda. I tried reinstalling Nero, but to no avail.

Its not hardware issue, because i had try it on another PC, so i guess its a software issue.

BIOS detected it correctly, so does device manager.

Pls help~

Geez, I have the opposite problem -plays DVD not CD's

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    I had a CD RW which has the same problem too, only show track00.cda. But it only applies to a new empty disc.After i burn something into a new disc, it only shows track00.cda. I tried reinstalling Nero, but to no avail.

Its not hardware issue, because i had try it on another PC, so i guess its a software issue.

BIOS detected it correctly, so does device manager.

Pls help~

I have the opposite problem than the one that this question started out with- my DVDROM plays DVD's but not CD's! Win98SE. Used to play them fine until Win98 went back to previous settings, and left me with this frustration....

Frustrating! ACK!!