MCP Dropout

Thread: MCP Dropout

Unhappy MCP Dropout

I have had no option but to withdraw from the course. It was making me ill and I have had an almost continous headache since the course began. It was affecting everything I do and I was getting angry for no reason and making mistakes, dropping things and generally acting stressed. I realised after the first session that I could not do it but did not want to let down the many people who have been supportive both on here and elsewhere. I come from a family whose ethic means failure is not tolerated and we are judged by our achievements. I now feel and outcast and I hang my head in shame I do not deserve to belong to this forum any longer and will unsubscribe if asked as I have wasted enough of your time and put little back in return.

I have only attended one full and one half session and tonight was the third session in a row I missed. Last week Paul suggested I would never catch up and he was right. Installing Server 2003 and trying to do the labs just made things worse and it has messed up my XP partition too. I have so much to cope with at home with a disabled and difficult husband and an adopted cat with severe behaviour problems ever since we had him neutered at the age of about one. I should have known better than to enrol in the first place. I also blame the College for cramming ten weeks modules into four weeks and making us sit so crammed up two computers to a desk that we were shoulder to shoulder and had to balance those big books on our laps..

Right now I just feel angry and feel like hiding or running away. Goodbye and thanks all.
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 18th, 2004 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MorseLady
    I I do not deserve to belong to this forum any longer and will unsubscribe if asked as I have wasted enough of your time and put little back in return.

Right now I just feel angry and feel like hiding or running away. Goodbye and thanks all.
    Don't do that MorseLady. Don't leave over this. Not everyone here is a full fledged tech, and you certainly don't need to be one to be here. In fact, many are not "certified" and you don't need to be to work in this field (although for those entering the field it helps). But, I have to ask you, What is more important: schooling or experience?? Most techs would tell you: EXPERIENCE and hands on!!!
    Geesh, I can only imagine how you are feeling right now, but don't for one moment think that anyone here would not want you here.
    That being said, I can only sympathize with your plight. What you have tried to do, with the situation you find yourself in, was honorable and is the sign of someone truly motivated, but, perhaps, chose the wrong time to try this. Perhaps you can give it another shot when the timing is better? If not, there are other less "advanced" courses you can take a shot at. Are there "technical schools" over there that focus on just PC's? Perhaps that would be worth a shot. I can sympathize with your feelings about the school. That sort of environment is NOT conducive to learning something so technical. There are even "correspondence" type schools where you learn at your own pace. Many choices and other opportunities. Don't give up just yet, especially while you are feeling so down. Wait a while and think it over again.
    But: STAY here please, and let us know the progress you make when you later decide to go a different direction in the tech field.
    Keep your head up MorseLady.

Don't drop out of this great forum just because you dropped the course. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Do not let your family make you feel like a failure for giving up something you know is not for you. You were smart to identify that early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Eyed
    Don't drop out of this great forum just because you dropped the course. The two have nothing to do with each other.
    DITTO!!!

I have had no option but to withdraw from the course. It was making me ill ... I come from a family whose ethic means failure is not tolerated and we are judged by our achievements. I now feel and outcast and I hang my head in shame I do not deserve to belong to this forum any longer and will unsubscribe if asked as I have wasted enough of your time and put little back in return...
    Crickey, I wish some of our less productive members felt this sincerely (The forum & its membership has no compulsion to 'help' anyone or with anything though generally we would try, this is a place to hang out & maybe help too, though some of us do try 'extra hard' to help to make up for some who might like the fun bits more & perhaps occasionally forget the 'helping' ethos here), failing some crumby tests designed as 'crammers' is not the end of the world , what would be real failure is giving up on your self & learning for enjoyments sake ..

Imho, it was fairly clear before, that you were 'under pressure' & you are to be applauded for lasting this long, with what seems to be a punishing schedule for those without 'real world pressures' to achieve, never mind you !

I personally have been striving to 'get it all' for over 20 years & I have a sackfull of passed & then forgotten qualifications, none of them do you any real good ever (they change everything 2 minutes after you passed anyway !), bits of paper only make it easier to get jobs from numpties who don't know what is important in IT, & thats an enquiring mind, an ability to solve puzzles & learn & a vague technical understanding & interest - or 'feel' for IT - all of which you still have left imho in 'abundance' - take a rest, have a big intake of breath & find something a bit more realistic in time & {very importantly here} pressure terms ..

BUT stay a forum member for as long as you like, here we have the fun element much higher up the priority list & we even manage to learn stuff every now & again while we are at it too

Thanks for your comments and encouragement all. I am actually very moved by the cameraderie to be found on the Internet and particularly on here. Yes I will stay subscribed and thank you very much.

It is the way I was brought up and educated that makes me qualification oriented but I must say that our local employment agencies, were I to need a job in IT, say no amount of certificates would get me a job, my age is no problem but lack of experience working in IT is. I get the impression that many people start on help desk and work up even if they have Certificates? But I am unlikely to be returning to the workplace so why am I worrying and yes I do enjoy IT but to be honest that Users and Databases does nothing for me and I am much more oriented to computer repair and configuration. The College are starting a new course based on the new A Plus and possibly Network Plus soon and this will be in small groups and a non classroom setting and I have already asked to be included. Paul says I can do the CISCO next year and I nearly did it this year, it was between CISCO and MCP and I chose the wrong one and Paul did say he thought CISCO was more me because I am a radio amateur and already understand cabling and so on.

Give me a computer which needs upgrading and Windows reinstalling or an upgrade to XP and I am happy and right now I have my husband's computer here, the one I cut my teeth on with my first hardware install of CDROM drive a couple of years ago - Noo will remember how scared I was but now I am quite happy at the prospect of installing a network card and USB2 in it as well as doubling his memory from 128MB to 256MB (I doubled it from 64MB two years ago). He has onboard graphics so I might put a 64MB Nvidia card in for him because he plays with Train Sim and it needs a good graphics card. He has Millenium and is fed up with it - who isn't so I am going to install my retail upgrade of XP Home I use on my other computer and he can use that for 30 days before Activation is required and if he likes it I will buy him a copy for his Birthday next month or buy myself an XP Pro upgrade or even that new computer I really do need (car can go on another Credit Card )and give him my XP Home. I am giving him my 15" CRT monitor because it is quite modern and I never use it have no room for two here unless I get a flat panel monitor. I could reach the credit limit on my Credit Cards right here and now but I won't because there comnes a payback time

Just got the hoovering and a bit of shopping to do and pop down to PC World for some stuff and then I can put my techie hat on
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 20th, 2004 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Typos as usual

Glad you are staying. You have a unique perspective which is valuable here, whether you realize it or not. I am happy that you chose to stay.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement all. I am actually very moved by the cameraderie to be found on the Internet and particularly on here. Yes I will stay subscribed and thank you very much.

I get the impression that many people start on help desk and work up even if they have Certificates? But I am unlikely to be returning to the workplace so why am I worrying and yes I do enjoy IT but to be honest that Users and Databases does nothing for me and I am much more oriented to computer repair and configuration. The College are starting a new course based on the new A Plus and possibly Network Plus soon and this will be in small groups and a non classroom setting and I have already asked to be included.

Becoming "certified" with MS or Novell would give you many more opp's than just a help desk. But, I would think, for you, the A+ seems spot on. Then progress to Network + as you'll then have a solid foundation. And, much less pressure. Good luck MorseLady, and, glad to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    Glad you are staying. You have a unique perspective which is valuable here, whether you realize it or not. I am happy that you chose to stay.
    Thank you Tekboy. Since my previous post I have exchanged a few emails with our tutor and I am going to sign up for the course running after Server 2003 which is XP Pro and Security Plus, both topics interest me and are relevant to a home user. I am just waiting for an email back from him on a suggestion I made then I will get back on here.

Must get my husband's computer up on the desk and see how many slots it has and then pop down to PC World for some upgrades! How much should I charge him

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd

Becoming "certified" with MS or Novell would give you many more opp's than just a help desk. But, I would think, for you, the A+ seems spot on. Then progress to Network + as you'll then have a solid foundation. And, much less pressure. Good luck MorseLady, and, glad to hear from you.

TripleRLtd I think we crossed in the post but read my reply to Tekboy and I will get back when our tutor gets back to me.

You sound much more cheerful now! Good luck MorseLady.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto
    You sound much more cheerful now! Good luck MorseLady.
    One reason I withdrew from the course was after missing three sessions I thought it was expected of me. However, Paul had not processed my request to leave and I have decided to carry on.

In a strange way I felt really sad I would not have at least a crack at the exam and compare notes with friends who are doing it or upgrading to Server 2003.

I am going to try and adopt a more laid back approach, enjoy it and if I pass that's great, if not I can always try the other modules.