Attach, Map drives and login from a pure DOS PC?

Thread: Attach, Map drives and login from a pure DOS PC?

Attach, Map drives and login from a pure DOS PC?

We are moving to a totlally Microsoft house for all of our servers.

We have a single NDS Tree containing three Netware servers. All going away soon.
    One of these supports a legacy payroll system.

I have purchased and installed "File and Print Services For Netware 5.00" on a new W2k server.
    I have placed a copy of the payroll application onto this w2k server.
    This old DOS based application runs perfectly from this new W2k server, all my workstations running Novell Client can connect to this new W2k server as if it was a Novell server and the supervisors can tend to their employees in the payroll applcation.

However, there is one PC that is pure DOS and must be pure DOS. This workstation has special ODI drivers and other network shims that allow this workstation to collect employee punches from time clocks. It brings these "in and out" punch times into the payrolll application. The clocks have ip address, but the communication is done via SPX/Ipx.

This pure DOS PC must be logged into the server that has the payroll application on it. If it is rebooted for any reason, it must be capable of attaching and logging back into the server.

The problem is this:
    I can use one of my real Novell servers as the perferred server in the Startnet.bat of this DOS pc and it will login to that server. Then I can MAP a drive to my new server and run my application, everything works fine.
    However, if I put my new server name, (w2k server with Windows services for Netware on it), into this DOS pc's startnet.bat, and reboot the PC, it looks like the PC attaches to the new server, but then nothing but drive mapping errors appear. I then try to MAP a drive but can not.
    It is as if the drive mapping for the original server are trying to run but they are wrong for this new named server. I do not know were those mapping are specified. Where do they run from?

I cannot depend on logging into a current Real Novell server and then MAP to this new server since they are going away. I want to login in bindry mode, once I am attached and my drives map.

Once the DOS pc runs the PS= line in this startnet.bat line, all I get are drive mapping errors.
    And the box is not logged into any server.
    ----
    CD \nwclient
    lh LSL
    lh E100BODI
    lh ODIPKT
    lh IPXODI
    lh NETX PS=BROADST-TIME {this seems to work} then nothing follows but mapping failure messages.
    c:\rwin\rodi /stacks:7
    F:
    LOGIN kronos
    -----

How does one Attach,Map drives and login to a "Novell server" from a pure DOS PC?
    Since I am able to login to this server on Widows 2k workstations running Novell client, I feel the problem is my lack of knowledge in using DOS?

Maybe this will help you http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...i?/1203151.htm

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10012087.htm

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...?/10027779.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kronosmen
    We are moving to a totlally Microsoft house for all of our servers.

We have a single NDS Tree containing three Netware servers. All going away soon.
    One of these supports a legacy payroll system.

I have purchased and installed "File and Print Services For Netware 5.00" on a new W2k server.
    I have placed a copy of the payroll application onto this w2k server.
    This old DOS based application runs perfectly from this new W2k server, all my workstations running Novell Client can connect to this new W2k server as if it was a Novell server and the supervisors can tend to their employees in the payroll applcation.

However, there is one PC that is pure DOS and must be pure DOS. This workstation has special ODI drivers and other network shims that allow this workstation to collect employee punches from time clocks. It brings these "in and out" punch times into the payrolll application. The clocks have ip address, but the communication is done via SPX/Ipx.

This pure DOS PC must be logged into the server that has the payroll application on it. If it is rebooted for any reason, it must be capable of attaching and logging back into the server.

The problem is this:
    I can use one of my real Novell servers as the perferred server in the Startnet.bat of this DOS pc and it will login to that server. Then I can MAP a drive to my new server and run my application, everything works fine.
    However, if I put my new server name, (w2k server with Windows services for Netware on it), into this DOS pc's startnet.bat, and reboot the PC, it looks like the PC attaches to the new server, but then nothing but drive mapping errors appear. I then try to MAP a drive but can not.
    It is as if the drive mapping for the original server are trying to run but they are wrong for this new named server. I do not know were those mapping are specified. Where do they run from?

I cannot depend on logging into a current Real Novell server and then MAP to this new server since they are going away. I want to login in bindry mode, once I am attached and my drives map.

Once the DOS pc runs the PS= line in this startnet.bat line, all I get are drive mapping errors.
    And the box is not logged into any server.
    ----
    CD \nwclient
    lh LSL
    lh E100BODI
    lh ODIPKT
    lh IPXODI
    lh NETX PS=BROADST-TIME {this seems to work} then nothing follows but mapping failure messages.
    c:\rwin\rodi /stacks:7
    F:
    LOGIN kronos
    -----

How does one Attach,Map drives and login to a "Novell server" from a pure DOS PC?
    Since I am able to login to this server on Widows 2k workstations running Novell client, I feel the problem is my lack of knowledge in using DOS?

Thank you very much

The links that you provided are Exactly what I was looking for.

I went to the Novell site myself a number of times but I find it very hard to get the search results to match my needs.

Thanks again,

Kronosmen