Help with BIOS/video card

Thread: Help with BIOS/video card

Help with BIOS/video card

Ok so here is my situation...

I am running an eMachines T2596 that has an intergrated Intel graphics card - which is not good. Yesterday I found a 3dfx Voodoo4 4500 graphics card laying around my house.. so now I want to get it installed to play games.

I am completely new to this and do not know much, so pelase bare with me.

The first thing I did was turn my computer off, put the Voodoo card in an open PCI slot, and then turned the computer back on.... but it didnt work. I switched the monitor cord back into the regular vga port for the intel, and that didnt work either. So I took the Voodoo card out, and plugged everything back in, and it worked fine. (Basically nothing is showing up on the monitor with the Voodoo card in my computer... no matter which vga port it is hooked up to)

So this is where the BIOS comes into play(Phoenix 6.0).. someone told me to reboot my computer and press the delete button to access my 'bios'... this is my first time doing this, so i really didnt know what to do, other than look for somewhere to disable the onboard VGA.

I looked around, and couldnt find that, but I did find something that let me switch between PCI and onboard for my graphics. The weird thing is, is that it was already set to 'PCI'.

Does anyone here know what I can do to get this graphics card working? It really has me frustrated, and cannot find anyone to help me.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Is there a solution? or am I just wasting my time?

I posted in the BIOS forum, because im not sure if i'm doing anything wrong when I go into the bios of my computer.... I looked EVERYWHERE and couldnt find anything else that had to do with disabling the onboard VGA.

If you know something, please take a second to help me out. If you know anyone who knows alot about graphics cards and installing them, please send them this link so they can give there input.

Thanks! (Any suggestions or help would be great!)

-Justin

I checked my System Information, but couldnt find out for sure.... I searched around and found someone with a similiar emachines... here is the motherboard it had.

Motherboard Type: Imperial GV
    Chipset: Intel 845GV
    CPU Slot Type: MPGA478
    PSU: 250 WATTS
    Motherboard Maker: Trigem International
    Frontside Bus Speed 400/533 Mhz
    Current Processor: Celeron 2.5GHz

Is there any marking on your main board.

Model numbers etc. . . .

This will be more helpful that pulling specs from your friends machine.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Justin XBLN
    I checked my System Information, but couldnt find out for sure.... I searched around and found someone with a similiar emachines... here is the motherboard it had.

Motherboard Type: Imperial GV
    Chipset: Intel 845GV
    CPU Slot Type: MPGA478
    PSU: 250 WATTS
    Motherboard Maker: Trigem International
    Frontside Bus Speed 400/533 Mhz
    Current Processor: Celeron 2.5GHz

http://www.e4allinc.info/

Thanks alot slave!

I have the Imperial GV.. can be found here.. http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/mother...8/imperial.htm

Could updating my bios help with this problem guys?

Thanks alot slave!

I have the Imperial GV.. can be found here.. http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/mother...8/imperial.htm

You shouldn't have to update your bios ( I could be wrong here )...

According to the manual you should be able to disable the onboard and choose pci....Under the Primary Video Adapter try choosing the PCI once again....

Also under Plug and Play OS set that to Yes....

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but there shouldn't be any reason that I see as to why disabling your onboard shoulnd't do the trick...also try throwing the card in a different pci slot......your sure that this card works?
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Thanks alot slave!

Updating the bios won't fix that problem, but I could be wrong

this trick works on a few MB's

Disable On-board Video (WinXP)

There is no jumper on the motherboard for this, it is supposed to automatically detect a new card and look to it.

The process for disabling onboard video, (which is really just faking out windows.) goes as such. Before starting this process, go into BIOS and choose to load optimized defaults, then let it come up into windows and remove all display adapters regarding your new video card, this will temporarily involve taking out the new card.

1-Make sure that the new video card is out of the system, with your monitor on the built-in video.

2-Start the computer up, tapping the F8 repeatedly until you get to the windows advanced options menu. Choose the option for safe mode, press enter at the OS selection screen, and log in as the administrator.

3-Go to start->control panel. Then go into system, click on the hardware tab, then the device manager button.

4-Click on the + sign next to display adapters. Right-click on what pops out, and choose DISABLE. Close out, and shut down the computer so it turns off.

5-Insert your new video card, and hook up the monitor to it. Turn on the computer, and let it come up normally.

6-You can now install the drivers for the new card, and all of windows and your programs will not see the old card.

There are 2 threads opened for this problem.