Help with installing video card

Thread: Help with installing video card

Help with installing video card

*posted in bios forum.. not sure where it needed to go*

Ok so here is my situation...

I am running an eMachines T2596 that has an intergrated Intel graphics card - which is not good. Yesterday I found a 3dfx Voodoo4 4500 graphics card laying around my house.. so now I want to get it installed to play games.

I am completely new to this and do not know much, so pelase bare with me.

The first thing I did was turn my computer off, put the Voodoo card in an open PCI slot, and then turned the computer back on.... but it didnt work. I switched the monitor cord back into the regular vga port for the intel, and that didnt work either. So I took the Voodoo card out, and plugged everything back in, and it worked fine. (Basically nothing is showing up on the monitor with the Voodoo card in my computer... no matter which vga port it is hooked up to)

So this is where the BIOS comes into play(Phoenix 6.0).. someone told me to reboot my computer and press the delete button to access my 'bios'... this is my first time doing this, so i really didnt know what to do, other than look for somewhere to disable the onboard VGA.

I looked around, and couldnt find that, but I did find something that let me switch between PCI and onboard for my graphics. The weird thing is, is that it was already set to 'PCI'.

Does anyone here know what I can do to get this graphics card working? It really has me frustrated, and cannot find anyone to help me.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Is there a solution? or am I just wasting my time?

I posted in the BIOS forum aswell, because im not sure if i'm doing anything wrong when I go into the bios of my computer.... I looked EVERYWHERE and couldnt find anything else that had to do with disabling the onboard VGA.

If you know something, please take a second to help me out. If you know anyone who knows alot about graphics cards and installing them, please send them this link so they can give there input.

Thanks! (Any suggestions or help would be great!)

-Justin

Talking

Most of the time you will have to tell the bios that its on a PCI port not internal for the VGA card. (video Card). But depending on your onboard video card it may be better than the older voodo 4 cards. The old voodo cards dont work well with the newer opengl or directx 9 programs. Its due to the fact their were no new drivers made for these cards. I had a voodo 5 that I got when they first came out. But when 3DFX was bought out by Nvidia the support for these cards just died. The nice thing about the voodoo 5 card was that it had dual processors on board. And they tested a card called the voodo 6 with 4 onboard processors but was never. It would have been nice to see what the full capitibles would have been for these cards. And 3DFX was the very start of all the good graphics out there.

Garth

Talking

Most of the time you will have to tell the bios that its on a PCI port not internal for the VGA card. (video Card). But depending on your onboard video card it may be better than the older voodo 4 cards. The old voodo cards dont work well with the newer opengl or directx 9 programs. Its due to the fact their were no new drivers made for these cards. I had a voodo 5 that I got when they first came out. But when 3DFX was bought out by Nvidia the support for these cards just died. The nice thing about the voodoo 5 card was that it had dual processors on board. And they tested a card called the voodo 6 with 4 onboard processors but was never sold. It would have been nice to see what the full capitibles would have been for these cards. And 3DFX was the very start of all the good graphics out there.

Garth

Make sure the 3Dfx card is placed into the first PCI slot, usually the one closest to the CPU.

As for drivers and utilities, go here: http://www.voodoofiles.com/category.asp?x=13