Flashed BIOS with wrong sized binary

Thread: Flashed BIOS with wrong sized binary

Flashed BIOS with wrong sized binary

I was trying to flash an Acorp 5ALI61 motherboard's BIOS. It's an award type BIOS so i used awdflash. The problem was that me genius tried to flash 1Mbit type BIOS with a 2Mbit type image. So the awdflash program produced an error message, that file size is too big. So i thaught it checked the file size and refused to flash it. If i had known that it did flash the BIOS by then, i would have flashed the backup image that awdflash saved to the floppy disk, from which i was doing the whole operation. But i just thought i will reboot to windows, copy the right BIOS image to the floppy (couse i had it in my hard disk) and then do the whole operation again. Unfortunately, after rebooting the computer is just beeping, trying to read something from cd and floppy drives and the screen is just black.
    What should i do? If i will have to use hot-swapping, i have an ABIT NF7 motherboard (which uses award flash bios too) which i could use. Is it possible to recover the corrupt bios with this motherboard, how to do it and is this the only way to recover it?

Heve a read of the link below the page of interest to you should be page 5 onwards

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf
    Last edited by Garfield99; October 20th, 2004 at 11:06 AM.
    The customer is always right sometimes confused, mis-informed,rude, stubborn, changeable and even downright stupid. BUT NEVER WRONG

It doesnt matter how many times you phone us your computer wont get fixed any quicker.

The way you go solely depends on your confidence.
    I have successfully recovered hundreds of mainboards by piggy backing, and other suggestions that were in this pdf.

However, the manufacturer sells replacement Bios chips for a small nominal fee if you have a few days to wait.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=63443

Just remember you can easily end up with two non functional boards.
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by kipras
    I was trying to flash an Acorp 5ALI61 motherboard's BIOS. It's an award type BIOS so i used awdflash. The problem was that me genius tried to flash 1Mbit type BIOS with a 2Mbit type image. So the awdflash program produced an error message, that file size is too big. So i thaught it checked the file size and refused to flash it. If i had known that it did flash the BIOS by then, i would have flashed the backup image that awdflash saved to the floppy disk, from which i was doing the whole operation. But i just thought i will reboot to windows, copy the right BIOS image to the floppy (couse i had it in my hard disk) and then do the whole operation again. Unfortunately, after rebooting the computer is just beeping, trying to read something from cd and floppy drives and the screen is just black.
    What should i do? If i will have to use hot-swapping, i have an ABIT NF7 motherboard (which uses award flash bios too) which i could use. Is it possible to recover the corrupt bios with this motherboard, how to do it and is this the only way to recover it?
    If it is still accessing the floppy the boot block is still OK so you should be able to flash it again.

Make a bootable DOS floppy disk with the AWDFLASH.EXE utility and the correct BIOS file. Make an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on the diskette with this line:
    AWDFLASH YOURBIOSFILE.BIN /SN /PY

It will take a minute or two to finish DO NOT TURN OFF OR REBOOT the PC! After it is done it will reboot automatically.

If this doesn't work you can try a "hot-swap" with another board (but then you are risking that boards health as well).

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kipras
    But i just thought i will reboot to windows, copy the right BIOS image to the floppy (couse i had it in my hard disk) and then do the whole operation again. Unfortunately, after rebooting the computer is just beeping, trying to read something from cd and floppy drives and the screen is just black.
    Hot-swap is not needed here - boot-block on your motherboard is still alive and trying to read from floppy awdflash and BIOS file to re-flash it back...
    But you'll need any an old ISA videocard to see messages on screen (PCI/AGP cards are not supported). Otherwise you'll do it blind... Also keyboard is not responding, so flashing should be done in unattended mode... Read "how-to" in mentioned PDF above...

The most important part - to find correct BIOS update for your motherboard...
    That MB came in few different revisions (at least 4), 2 of them with 1 MBit BIOSes,another 2 - with 2 Mbit...
    In fact, this motherboard was designed and manufactured by Fordlian/RedFox company, Acorp just only used own logo sticker, (and bit later changed BIOS too)...

Here you can find some of BIOSes http://rom.by/bios/Acorp/index.htm
    MB Rev 1.3 is not listed here,though...

Also some BIOSes can be found here: http://www.nix.ru/support/drivers.ht...up=4&vendor=38

Manufacturer's site: http://www.acorp.com.tw/eng/download...d=217&lineid=1

Good luck!