Comp only starts safe mode. Missing file error

Thread: Comp only starts safe mode. Missing file error

Comp only starts safe mode. Missing file error

Okay I'm apologizing in advance because I don't think this is in the right place but I didn't know which category to list it under.

I have an old computer that only boots in safe mode because when I try to boot it in normal mode I get this error:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 15

And it says it's missing device driver: IDECD000

The computer is an old HP Pavillian and runs with Windows 98 OS. I'm not sure of a lot of the other system specs. A couple of people told me that if you delete the line on the config.sys file that has the error, it will be fixed but I'm not sure if that's true and even if it is, I don't know how to do that.

Any suggestions?

In the config.sys type the word REM on the offending line as this will stop the system from trying to load the request.

So the line should look summit like:

REM C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
    The customer is always right sometimes confused, mis-informed,rude, stubborn, changeable and even downright stupid. BUT NEVER WRONG

It doesnt matter how many times you phone us your computer wont get fixed any quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield99
    In the config.sys type the word REM on the offending line as this will stop the system from trying to load the request.

So the line should look summit like:

REM C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
    How do you opne the config.sys file to change it? When I double clicked on it nothing happened

Boot to Dos this is done by pressing the F8 during the memory count on the boot screen, as long as u did it in time when the screen changes to the next screen u should see the windows startup menu, then select boot to dos then type edit config.sys at the c: and hit the enter key.

c:\edit config .sys

once you've edited the config.sys by adding the REM to the offending line save the settings exit and reboot see if it makes any diffrence.
    The customer is always right sometimes confused, mis-informed,rude, stubborn, changeable and even downright stupid. BUT NEVER WRONG

It doesnt matter how many times you phone us your computer wont get fixed any quicker.

Boot to Dos this is done by pressing the F8 during the memory count on the boot screen, as long as u did it in time when the screen changes to the next screen u should see the windows startup menu, then select boot to dos then type edit config.sys at the c: and hit the enter key.

c:\edit config .sys

once you've edited the config.sys by adding the REM to the offending line save the settings exit and reboot see if it makes any diffrence.
    I did it and it got rid of the corrupted file error but it still says "missing device driver IDECD000"

Any suggestions on that?

Thanks

that may well be in Autoexec.bat open that up the same way u did config.sys and see if its mentioned, if so do the same by adding the REM to that line or lines, also check fer mentions of IDECD000 in the config.sys and REM them line or lines also.
    Last edited by Garfield99; October 20th, 2004 at 11:27 AM.

that may well be in Autoexec.bat open that up the same way u did config.sys and see if its mentioned, if so do the same by adding the REM to that line or lines, also check fer mentions of IDECD000 in the config.sys and REM them line or lines also.
    okay i did all of that and now when i try to start up all of the errors with those files are gone BUT it still just says "bad file or command" and still doesnt start up. thats ALL it says now. any suggestions?

Start in safe mode..go to start/run and type in msconfig hit enter

when the msconfig window comes up, uncheck the autoexec and config sys checkboxes..98 does not need either of these files running unless you are using dos programs. Click apply then ok and reboot..see if the problem persists
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by stmarksanarchy
    Okay I'm apologizing in advance because I don't think this is in the right place but I didn't know which category to list it under.

I have an old computer that only boots in safe mode because when I try to boot it in normal mode I get this error:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 15

And it says it's missing device driver: IDECD000

The computer is an old HP Pavillian and runs with Windows 98 OS. I'm not sure of a lot of the other system specs. A couple of people told me that if you delete the line on the config.sys file that has the error, it will be fixed but I'm not sure if that's true and even if it is, I don't know how to do that.

Any suggestions?
    Start the computer in MS-DOS mode (Command line only)

from the command prompt type:
    edit c::\config.sys

You will then be in a text editor

change the line

device = c::\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys . . . .. . . . . .

to

rem device = c::\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys

then exit by the keystrokes atx+f x

Next type:

edit autoexec.bat

find the line that contains MSCDEX.exe

and put a rem in front of that one.

Make sure you save your changes

REboot

* Note if your IDE drivers in Win98 are not setup properly you will not be able to see your cd-rom drive.

Which can also be fixed
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    "There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

or just get rid of those two files:

Do I still need CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT?

Intended For
    Windows Me
    Windows 98
    Windows 95

For the most part, neither of thes files are needed.
    Windows 95 and 98:

Ideally, you should delete CONFIG.SYS altogether, and should have nothing but your PATH in AUTOEXEC.BAT (Windows 95/98 only).
    Generally, your CONFIG.SYS file (left over from previous versions of Windows) may include drivers for your disk cache, CD-ROM, sound card, syquest drive, scanner, as well as a myriad of parameters like Files=50, Buffers=20, and so on. If you delete this file, Windows will simply load its own drivers for all these. The exception is a device that doesn't have a Windows driver, although (1) it's unlikely, and (2) it's probably not worth keeping.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."