Not sure which Linux to use

Thread: Not sure which Linux to use

Hybrid View

Question Not sure which Linux to use

I was looking into linux and found many different OS. I am interested in the business environment as well as home users. Which system is the correct one? SUSE ~ Linux red hat enterprise ~ Fedora ~ Etc. I'm confused !

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by digi
    I was looking into linux and found many different OS. I am interested in the business environment as well as home users. Which system is the correct one? SUSE ~ Linux red hat enterprise ~ Fedora ~ Etc. I'm confused !
    Nice thing about Linux is there are so many choices - here are some thoughts:

1. If you want a full featured workstation: Look a Xandros(not free) includes apps (cross over office) that make it possible to work with MS Office documents. IIRC it is not the most secure out of the box though...

2. If you want to learn Unix: Slackware (it is what I use at work). They don't really make it easy for you - you'll learn all about vi though.

3. If you want to put it on your resume: Hed Rat (sorry I mean red hat). The current consumer oriented version is called Fedrora but most folks I know are sticking with regular old red hat for now - it's probably the closest thing to an industry standard and PHBs & HR drones may not recognize some of the other distros by name.

There are a lot of folks here a lot more knowledgeable than me - hopefully they'll respond soon - also keep in mind some distros may be better suited/easier for your hardware or your specific needs (sandbox, development, security, entertainment, etc).

Red Hat Enterprise is good for the work place. But, to get automatic updates you have to pay. Also if you want support you have to pay. But, these may be options that you want to concider when making the switch.

I run Fedora on my workstation amd Enterprice 3 on our servers that were just migrated from W2K.The full Fedora install comes loaded with lots of little tools that made sticking with Fedora an easy choice. It includes free automatci updates. At home I run Mandrake for my server. it was simple to get running and keep secure.

I haven't used Slackware but its also quite popular. But for a start, I would reccomend that you take a look at Fedora first. Its easy to install.

My opinion on Linux...

I have tested many different distros and I found SUSE 9.1 and Xandros to be the easiet to setup and to use if you are not familar w/ linux.

I have not tested red hot... (soon...)

I would personal download SUSE 9.1 and give that a try, I know it's 3 CDs but when you install it, you can pick from a LARGE selection of software you may need or want. The default software 8 of 10 times is enough for the newbie..

If you need more indepth information just contact me..
    I was trying to keep my opinion short...

* Suse 9.1 - (loaded for the desktop user and business user)
    (purchase M$ emulator later AKA Crossover office))
    * Xandros - (M$ emulator, so you can install office.. works OK)
    * Linspire - (Lindows) is really easy to use but it cost money...
    (installing software cost money also, but very easy compared to other....
    Last edited by Sp0cK; October 21st, 2004 at 08:27 AM.

Good input people.
    Keep it up. Yeah there are many here who are Linux gurus, and your input is most welcome. To tell the truth, I myself am going to check out a Linus distro soon, so, keep up with the input and ideas. Remember, even us Windows gurus could use a bit of advice.

btw: where is Gollo?

What do you guys think about Mandrake? I have played with it before, and liked it, but I am no Linux wizzard. I have been an M$ assimulated Borg, however, I would like to be free and learn about the Linux Ferderation.
    Get me a soldering iron and some duct tape, and I'll see what I can do.

I throw my vote in on Mandrake as well. I have had trouble with the installers for several of the distros, but Mandrake has run great for me so far. I am having an easier/more enjoyable time on Mandrake than I have had on any of the other distros.

Alright. So, in you linux pro's XP, what big difference is there between the setup, config, and use (as a tech, not a regular user!!!) of a linux distro compared to a windoze one?
    In other words, what does one need to learn and/or look at differently when it comes to supporting and running linux v windows? How much learning and how much time will it take. And, I ask so I can be prepared. I have had different versions of Linux in boxes and shrink wrapped, but, I have never installed any of them. I mean, just keeping up with all the incarnations of windows and ALL the freaking programs is a part time job for me. So, I chose to go with what everyone uses, and I MUST support.
    But, Windows, and all it's programs and problems is getting sooooo old. So, that is where my decision finally comes from.
    Well...any advice, or observations? After all, my questions and their answers will also help out the thread, right? So, don't say this is a hijack.

If you just want to get your feet wet...

Try a live Linux on CD OS like Knoppix. While I work on Linux (Slackware) servers rather than Linux workstations, Knoppix boots damn near every machine I've ever tried it on. You can lease an IP address, launch a browser, and do a lot of things you can under your "other" OS.

It's a great way to get your feet wet without making ANY changes to the machine you're using. I keep a CDRW with the latest Knoppix in my toolbox for testing. If Knoppix boots and can get on the 'net - the hardware is working and must be another problem.

Hope this helps!!!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s

Another vote for Xandros. It installs very easy and has great hardware support. It also has Xandros Network for installing software, making the process much easier than many others. It Debian based so there is lots of support at various websites as well.

Knoppix is great too. It can be installed to a hard drive.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Lightbulb Wow

Lots more info than i expected to recieve ! Alothough still a little confusing I have more to work with! I agree with triple R and in that I must support "M" but I have a couple of cpu's to play with at the house and want ot set up a linux environment because it will soon be THE major player...in my opinion! I guess I need to pick a couple of them and just play! Thanks again for all the great input! I'm sure I will be back to ask many more questions as I get started!

Plenty to try before you install:
    List of Linux live Cds

Speaking as a hopelessly biased Slackware user, if you want to learn the ins and outs of the command line, then Slackware is the way to go. However, Slack isn't really "corporate desktop" material, so you might want to to try SUSE (now that Novell owns it) and/or Red Hat.

In fact, as you have a couple of PC's to "play" with, why not try a setup with Red Hat configured as a workstation and slackware acting as a file/print/database/web (whatever) server? You'll definitely learn the best of both worlds this way.

Cheers
    Bollocks