diff usb functions on one computer

Thread: diff usb functions on one computer

diff usb functions on one computer

Hi all,

just jointed and have a query.

I loaded a wireless usb adapter for internet service. IF i plug it into a differnt usb port it stops working. Recently I had an issue with the driver and did a reinstall.
    The adapter only works on two of the 9 usb ports One front port and one back. the other front/top and back ports it is recognized but a driver error is reported. This prompted me to look at the device driver window. Here is a screen shot of what I have.
    Do these have different functionality? I now some can be used for powering devices while others cannot. Is it possible that they all cannot drive the adapter?

I found this errata pdf for that chipset; http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/322170.pdf

I note specifically Intel says:

"7. Intel® 5 Series Chipset and Intel® 3400 Series Chipset USB Port Stall with Bulk and Control Traffic

Problem: When a single USB bulk device is active on an EHCI controller, and the device has pending control and bulk traffic the PCH may not be able to resolve which traffic type is a priority and the associated with the device may stall.

• The processor must be in C0 for an extended period of time such as when Cx states are disabled, or if system traffic prevents the system from leaving C0.

Implication: The USB device may appear unresponsive. If Cx states are enabled the device may recover a short time later.

Note: Intel has only observed this failure on a limited number of devices. Failure only occurs if software associated with a USB device programs the Nak Count Reload bits defined in the EHCI Specification for USB Rev 1.0 to 0.

Workaround: A BIOS code change has been identified and may be implemented as a workaround for this erratum.

Since a wireless USB is a 'Bulk and Control Traffic' device, that may be it.

Notwithstanding that, an uninstall of all USB ports followed by a reboot and operating system re-detection of the ports may clear the issue.

Thanks for your reply.
    I have noticed another issue (recent). My thumb drives are being plugged in but no auto reaction from win7. today the red led on two of the thumbs would blink rapidly and settle into a low light situation like the usb port was under powered. It was that way with the two front and two top usb ports. I did a reboot and they started working again.

Could this be a mboard issue or usb? It is a new quad core Gateway and if there is a problem brewing I need to get it in for a checkup.

Further to my earlier information; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978789

You should check at the manufacturuer's site for any improved Bios or additional software support for similar issues.

Gateway isn't known for 'oversizing' their psu's, but normal thumb/flash drive use shouldn't give a low power situation on a desktop usb port.