Can't Instal Conexant Drivers

Thread: Can't Instal Conexant Drivers

Can't Instal Conexant Drivers

I have just upgraded my husband's Celeron 700mhz PC from Millenium to XP Home and I declined dynamic update because we are on dial up and I thought it would take too long. I now find that I have a problem with modem drivers and of course the Millenium drivers, themselves tricky to instal, did not work and I uninstalled them and downloaded the correct XP Generic driver from the Conexant website. However, when I click the setup icon it will not execute. I am certain I have the correct driver, albeit generic. I did download on one of my own machines and saved it to floppy - could that be the problem and the file is corrupt? The machine has no CD Burner. Any ideas please?

Quote Originally Posted by MorseLady
    I have just upgraded my husband's Celeron 700mhz PC from Millenium to XP Home and I declined dynamic update because we are on dial up and I thought it would take too long. I now find that I have a problem with modem drivers and of course the Millenium drivers, themselves tricky to instal, did not work and I uninstalled them and downloaded the correct XP Generic driver from the Conexant website. However, when I click the setup icon it will not execute. I am certain I have the correct driver, albeit generic. I did download on one of my own machines and saved it to floppy - could that be the problem and the file is corrupt? The machine has no CD Burner. Any ideas please?
    I have tried everything including downloading the generic XP drivers three times and saving them to three new floppy discs. XP help suggests going online to look for updated drivers so we have a Catch 22 situation!

I am in the process of implemeting a possible solution and that is to do the upgrade again but this time choosing the dynamic update option even if it ties my internet connection up. I will set up the upgrade instal before I go out and hope it's done when I get back. I have already rolled back to ME and reinstalled the modem and am using the computer now.

At least the new network and USB2 cards I have installed for my husband work both in XP and Millenium.

If reinstalling the XP upgrade with dynamic update does not work I will try a format and clean install and if that does not work I will buy and instal a new modem.
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 23rd, 2004 at 06:47 AM.

Banned
    just wondering if it is worth the effort ,,

up here in lancashire i can buy a new pci modem from local shop for about £10.00 ,,,

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    just wondering if it is worth the effort ,,

up here in lancashire i can buy a new pci modem from local shop for about £10.00 ,,,
    I have already got a spare modem but the challenge is in seeing if I can get the existing one to work and I realise the problem is that I had the name of the modem wrong due to the info with my huisband's computer. The modem is HAMR and the shop I buy my cards etc from in the market says that modem is Intel and is hard to instal and recommended I instal another. I will have one more go now I know the name of the modem and if I can locate the drivers and then if it still does not work I will instal the new one which is V92 (NTL tell me they do support it)cost £9.99 and comes with up to date drivers and a cable - good value!

Banned

I am a bit confused now because the drivers on the utility disc that came with my husband's computer four years ago say Conexant but in Device it comes up as HAMR and when I told the shop he said it was Intel.

I am going to have a look in the case now...........have pulled off a sticker which has on it 120 000 137 then the European CE compliance sign followed by CTX 600 V.1 - does that tell anyone what the modem is? There is another sticker with made in Taiwan on it. Going by the size of the components on the modem card it's old.

UPDATE

Had to photograph the board of the old 700mhz Celeron computer because the Intel site modem downloads seemed to be based on Chipset. However despite 1600x1200 macros and blowing everything up cannot read anything. I could have installed that new modem by now! Just one last try I am going to instal system probing software like SiSoft or Belarc and see what I can find out. I am beginning to get annoyed..............................
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 23rd, 2004 at 04:06 PM.

Banned
    Creatix HAMR56K , have a look at the intel link i gave u before

Creatix HAMR56K , have a look at the intel link i gave u before
    I typed Creatix HAMR in my browser and was given a link in German, luckily I have a very basic understanding of the language and I was able to find my way to the English version of the website but there are no XP drivers only W2K so I am going to try that as XP is NT5.1 and W2K is NT5 it should work!

If not I will instal the new modem which definitely has XP drivers on the CDROM and is V92 too.

At least I know now what the modem is, thanks Freddy.

For anyone who understands German here is a link to a very useful page of what appear to be modem driver downloads http://www.kostnix2000.de/modem.htm

aber, es tut mir led meine Deutsche ist keine gut und ich sie nicht allen verstanden der worte von die kostnix website!
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 23rd, 2004 at 05:17 PM. Reason: To update progress/lack of finding driver

The W2000 drivers which I downloaded from the German Creatix site worked for the modem we now know is HAMR56K. I now have XP up and running on my husband's computer with all drivers and the new USB2 and Network cards installed and working. Windows Update offered an update for the network card driver but not the modem so I must have found the best one.

Problem solved and another notch in my learning curve. Strangely enough in our MCP 2273A Server 2003 course we are doing Part 2 modules 3 to 5 tonight which includes device drivers.
    Last edited by MorseLady; October 25th, 2004 at 05:11 AM.