explorer.exe

Thread: explorer.exe

explorer.exe

hi....running windows xp.

occassionally when shuting down, i'll get an box open up 'explorer.exe' with an option to end now & a blue progress bar counting up. when clicking 'end now' another box opens 'power meter', the same 'end now' option which when clicked the computer will finally shut down

any ideas why these two pesky boxes are appearing?

thanks

stuart
    uk

Geesh, this could be almost anything. Is this a laptop? Tell us more about the pc, and, while you're at it, tell us about your "malware" situation. You know: spyware, adware, etc. IOW: is this a "clean" os?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Geesh, this could be almost anything. Is this a laptop? Tell us more about the pc, and, while you're at it, tell us about your "malware" situation. You know: spyware, adware, etc. IOW: is this a "clean" os?
    no this is a desktop. i've only run adaware. what is this 'malware'? clean? not really sure what u mean?

stuart

I asked if it was a laptop because you said that power meter was also having problems.
    Malware is malicious software: a generic term. An infected pc could cause this problem, as well as many other things. Hence, my asking for more details on the pc. We need to go throught a bunch of q&a to get to the root of the problem.
    In the meantime, go to this thread and start with that:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=57348

Also, other than that, do you have any other obvious problems with this pc we should know about?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    I asked if it was a laptop because you said that power meter was also having problems.
    Malware is malicious software: a generic term. An infected pc could cause this problem, as well as many other things. Hence, my asking for more details on the pc. We need to go throught a bunch of q&a to get to the root of the problem.
    In the meantime, go to this thread and start with that:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=57348

Also, other than that, do you have any other obvious problems with this pc we should know about?

thanks for the thread.....no, no obvious problems that i know of, though have recently installed xp home upgrade over a previous win 98se install. i never remember getting these boxes before shutdown with the old install if i'm honest....

this is on my mothers pc & she hasnt tinkered with it before, never added loads of software or played around with setups etc etc, just used www & outlook express

cheers