KVM Failure between Windows and Linux

Thread: KVM Failure between Windows and Linux

KVM Failure between Windows and Linux

Ladies and Gentlemen;
    I have two systems - a Win 2000 system and a Redhat 9.0 Linux System side by side. I am using a D-Link 2-port KVM between them. I am using a Logitech PS2 mouse. This setup HAS worked intermittantly, but the primary mode of failure is this:

In mode 1 (Win2000), immediately after rebooting, the mouse works properly.
    I switch to Mode 2 on the KVM (RHL) and the mouse works properly.
    When I switch BACK to mode 1 there is no movement on the mouse.
    If I go back to Mode 2 I have complete mouse movement / functionality.
    The only way I can reliably get the mouse back in mode 1 is to restart windows. (This is obviously a pain in the watch)

I have forced the hardware diagnostics on Windows which shows nothing wrong.

Has anyone ever seen this problem?
    Might anyone have a hint or solution?

Many thanks and G'Day!

Yeah, cheep Dlink KVM is your problem...

I have a 4 port (DKVM-4) that occasionally does this, but the worst problem I had with it was statistic discharge, I had the monitor on one of those metal telescoping stands, and when the KVM came in contact with the stand the monitor would flicker on and off, and the ports would freak out, I covered everything up with electrical tape to clear that up. I have had it a few times where I couldn’t switch to a different port, it was locked in one position, the only way out I had to unplug EVERYTHING. A real pain in the rump…

I also have an 8 port Dlink (DKVM-8E), that’s one of those that can daisy chain with up to 8 more like it…nice toy, never had a single problem with it…

If you want reliability on a two port device, you’d better look to another brand I think…

I'vew found that the d-liks wokr better if you boot one device at at time and have the KVM set to that device durring the entire boot process. otherwise the systme just misses it entirly, or forgets when you switch back.