[RESOLVED] Modem is weird

Thread: [RESOLVED] Modem is weird

mitchbryant

Red face Modem is weird

We have a modem that works fine in other locations (office), but will not work in one location (home). We have tried other PCs and other modems. It appears NOT to be the home line.

Can a modem be sesitive to a specific line and if so - how can you modify settings so it will not be so sensitive???

What kind of modem is it - make, model, internal or external, speed, etc.?

Mark

idfx

Check to see if it's a WinModem. Try the modem auto-detect under the Modem Diagnostics part of the Modem Control Panel. Look for any model names that have the letters 'HCF' or 'ACF'. I'f you see one of those, your modem is probably a WinModem, and should be stomped upon wearing heavy boots as soon as possible.

ICYDK, WinModems are modems that are 'hardware-lazy'. They don't include the full complement of DSP hardware that other (real) modems have, relying instead on the CPU and driver software to do its job for it.
    I hate these things.

You could go to the manufacturers site and get valid current drivers for it, install those and it should work fine. So, I guess you don't have to destroy it. But I would, just to be safe. Burn the remains, to put an end to such evil. Get a real modem. It may cost $10 more, but you'll save easily that much on heart medication.

Of course, that's only my opinion....

Also, if it's not a WinModem, the rest of this advice is completely irrelevant.
    Good luck!

------------------
    yrs,
    in_sanity,

idfx