asus p4G533-LA / HP echo4 question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: asus p4G533-LA / HP echo4 question

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63

    asus p4G533-LA / HP echo4 question

    i bought a used board labeled P4G533-LA which is an asus oem for hp. the bios is labeled echo4 - 3.02 and hp has a number of models using the echo4 board but i don't know which one this is.
    problem is when i turn it on, it goes to the hp startup screen and within 2 seconds or so does a steady beep and that is as far as it gets. i have tried different ram and different psu. the cpu was a celeron 2.4 / 400. this is a 400ghz board and the cpu works in a different computer with no problem.
    any ideas.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by irv6744
    i bought a used board labeled P4G533-LA which is an asus oem for hp. the bios is labeled echo4 - 3.02 and hp has a number of models using the echo4 board but i don't know which one this is.
    problem is when i turn it on, it goes to the hp startup screen and within 2 seconds or so does a steady beep and that is as far as it gets. i have tried different ram and different psu. the cpu was a celeron 2.4 / 400. this is a 400ghz board and the cpu works in a different computer with no problem.
    any ideas.

    thanks
    if you find the FCC number on the board and then go to

    http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

    it will be able to tell you all about the MOBO.

  3. #3
    Registered User hudsonsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,276
    Take a look here: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/
    Your board was used on these hp models:
    Echo GL Asus P4G533-LA/P4G533-GL (10/16/2003-I845G/ICH4/IT8708-P4G533LA ) : 354n (US/CAN), 525w, 533w (serno MX IT8708F), a210n, a206x, a345w, a336n, a335w, a328d, a320d, a318d, a316n, a312d, a307i, a305wm, a305w, a305i, a300n, a424x, a422n, a412n
    Do you get as far as the bios string at boot? That should help you narrow things down. Also, have you tried resetting the cmos? If you can't find the jumper, simply remove the battery for a few minutes.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

  4. #4
    Registered User Ruslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I don't remember exactly, which HP model Echo4 belongs to, but if you need drivers or manual for your motherboard you can use this link:

    That model use the same board... I do have HP/Compaq motherboards database at work (made it by myself ), so, I can find exactly which HP model do you have... But I'm on vacation now , so, wait till next week...

    Just few key moments regarding HP/Compaqs:

    1. Some of HP motherboards requires Case fan (as well as CPU fan) to be connected to the motherboard, otherwise system will shut down the power supply (CPU overheating protection)... even if you have already connected CPU fan (!)... It depends on BIOS version...

    2. HP Power Supplies have no -5V... But usually regular power supply works fine with HP Pavilions...

    3. Almost all HP motherboards are having different boot-block in BIOS, which is write-protected... That boot block has built-in HP model name, and HP OS recovery software is looking for that name...

    4. You can use BIOS update made made for different HP model (for example, from link above), if that model has the same motherboard and MB revision... Usually BIOS update is the same for different HP models using the same board...
    But! Some of HP MBs can have the same model name, but different codenames (and even different chipsets!). So, some experience is needed here...

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bph07845

    So, try to connect any fan with speed sensor to the Case fan connector to see, if it will make any difference... Also check if current CPU fan has a good speed sensor...

    Look if BIOS is trying to boot from floppy or CD - who knows, may be someone already screwed up the BIOS chip (for example, by flashing BIOS form ASUS, not from HP)...

    Try to clear CMOS...

    If all above didn't help, may be you have defective motherboard? Can you trust people you got that MB from?

    I know that motherboard model well enough (we sold a lot of those HPs), and usually that model is quite reliable one... But anything could happen...

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63
    i am leaning towards a defective mb. i can see the hp blue intro screen but keyboard doesn't work. takes about a second and i hear fast beeps, too fast to count, and then another second later it goes to a steady tone. it does not shut down nor do i think it is trying to boot. anyone run into that before. i never have.
    if someone used an asus file to flash the bios, would i still get the hp into screen.

    i have not tried it with two fans. i have another used hp board and when i got the fan error message, i was able to plug the cpu fan into the other fan power connector and all was well. i did not try that on this board yet. is it possible to get the tone and lockup if the case fan connector is not being used

  6. #6
    Registered User Ruslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by irv6744
    i am leaning towards a defective mb. i can see the hp blue intro screen but keyboard doesn't work. takes about a second and i hear fast beeps, too fast to count, and then another second later it goes to a steady tone. it does not shut down nor do i think it is trying to boot. anyone run into that before. i never have.
    if someone used an asus file to flash the bios, would i still get the hp into screen.

    i have not tried it with two fans. i have another used hp board and when i got the fan error message, i was able to plug the cpu fan into the other fan power connector and all was well. i did not try that on this board yet. is it possible to get the tone and lockup if the case fan connector is not being used

    The answer for the last question is - "No"...

    What kind of beeps do you have? Does it sound like a key on keyboard is stuck? or something else like memory error beeps?

    Did you try any PCI videocard instead of on-board? Defective videocard can cause all sort of troubles... Besides, you have now only on-board video, which takes it's memory for the main memory... So, if something is wrong with memory stick, it can cause problems... What memory type/manufacturer did you try, by the way? - do not trust noname memory!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    What kind of beeps do you have? Does it sound like a key on keyboard is stuck? or something else like memory error beeps?

    Did you try any PCI videocard instead of on-board? Defective videocard can cause all sort of troubles... Besides, you have now only on-board video, which takes it's memory for the main memory... So, if something is wrong with memory stick, it can cause problems... What memory type/manufacturer did you try, by the way? - do not trust noname memory!

    it sounds like a stuck key. this happens with or without a keyboard connected. i have tried memory that works in other computers, hp and others. when i tried it with no memory, the beep pattern did change. it's one of the very first things the bios checks after it checks the memory.

    with the onboard video, i get the hp intro screen and it locks up. i can't get into the bios to disable the onboard video to try another video card.

    thanks

  8. #8
    Registered User Ruslan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I had exactly the same "key-stuck" sounds few days ago with the same motherboard - motherboard was actually defective...
    So, if you still can return it back - do it...

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63
    it cost me $15, as is, so no return. actually i got another hp board at the same time for $10 with the vga connector screwed up and i got that one going. all-in-all 3 out of 4 boards worked so i can't complain. sometimes what appears to be junk turns out to be good stuff. i guess it is time to stop playing with that board. thanks.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1
    what was the problem and how did you resolve it because i have the exact same problem ,but i dont even get as far as you, i just get beeps?? could you help me out?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl23jam
    what was the problem and how did you resolve it because i have the exact same problem ,but i dont even get as far as you, i just get beeps?? could you help me out?
    i haven't played with the board since i asked about it. another guy wrote me and had the same problem. never did hear back from him. sounds like these boards go bad the same way and no one knows what to do with them other than return or throw away.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Hebburn, Tyne & Wear, North East England
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by irv6744
    i haven't played with the board since i asked about it. another guy wrote me and had the same problem. never did hear back from him. sounds like these boards go bad the same way and no one knows what to do with them other than return or throw away.
    I had a 533 mobo that appeared to have the same prolem, but once I disabled the onlboard "talking to you" controller on the motherboard (with the assisatnace of 3 jumpers. all was well.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Garak
    I had a 533 mobo that appeared to have the same prolem, but once I disabled the onlboard "talking to you" controller on the motherboard (with the assisatnace of 3 jumpers. all was well.
    unfortunately, my 1.02 version of the motherboard has no jumpers on it so i cannot take a hardware approach to disabling the sound. i cannot get into the bios setup because it freezes up too fast after power on.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1
    omg, someone else had this problem TOO, i have an hp pavillion a424x, same tone, freeze at intel p4 welcome screen. How did you end up fixing it???

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Help!!!!

    im having the same problem but with out the constant beep.the way i fixed it was said f@ck it and bought a new case/ps and all.and now it works fine...BUT i cannot hook up my firewire/usb1.1/usb2.2 or my mic and sound.i know i can get a passthrough cable for the sound and mic but help with the othere? and mine has NO AGP!!!!!! does anyone have an AGP port on this mobo???if anyone can help me PLEASE e-mail me at sikmelinko@hotmail.com PLEASE HELP ME i want to play guild wars and ive only got onboard video and i hear PCI cards suck @ss....if you know bout the firewire/usb please share you inferiour knowledge...thanx

    p.s the mobo is a ASUS- P4G533-LA from a hp.now in a diabolic minitor case....very smooth.

Similar Threads

  1. A Politically Correct Christmas Carol
    By Stalemate in forum Tech Lounge & Tales
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 14th, 2002, 01:04 PM
  2. [RESOLVED] Quick question about Asus Slocket
    By Silverman in forum BIOS/Motherboard Drivers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 20th, 2001, 10:44 PM
  3. ASUS A7V BIOS 1005A question?
    By Major Kong in forum BIOS/Motherboard Drivers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 31st, 2001, 12:25 AM
  4. Another ASUS P3BF question
    By jimerhardt2 in forum BIOS/Motherboard Drivers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2001, 03:49 PM
  5. [RESOLVED] HP 9310 question
    By warrior237 in forum CD-ROM/CDR(-W)/DVD Drivers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 30th, 2001, 03:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •