I really need some help

Thread: I really need some help

I really need some help

Hi all I'm new to this site and I hope someone can help me. I have a new computer that likes to reboot. The computer is a p4/2.99 gigherts with 256 mg's of ram and windows xp home. When I download a large file the computer will completely reboot with no warning and sometimes I get a windows is recovering from a serious error message and it says a minidump has happened. The place that built this for me tried to fix the problem by swapping out the ram and then reinstalling windows but the problem was still there. They then built me a new computer and only used the dvd burner from the original computer but the problem is still there. This thing will sometimes go for 20 hours and sometimes 1 hour before it will reboot. The place that built it said it was not the computer that was responsible for this. I am on Sympatico high speed and they said they have never heard of this and it was not on their end. I have borrowed another modem(speed stream) and the thing still did the same thing on this one too. I have scanned for viruses useing different antiviruses and nothing. I searched for spyware using spybot and nothing. I have checked for adware using ad-aware 6.0 and nothing either. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi no-backup and welcome to Windrivers.

From your description there are only 2 things common to the problem of rebooting because it's a new computer. So it's either...

1. The DVD drive. Only way to find out for sure is to disconnect all power and data cables going to it.

2. Power. Is there a problem with the a/c supply in your area? Try a surge protector.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Thanks for the reply gazzak. I did buy a new surge protector and the problem is still there. I thought it only rebooted if I was downloading a large file because it could be on the internet and you could be surfing and it never seems to reboot no matter how long you are on but tonight I was burning a dvd and the computer rebooted on me and I wasn't even on the internet. So I think mabey you are onto something with the burner. Since this was built the place that built it put seals on the case and if I open it to unplug the cables my warranty is void. I am going to call them on Monday and see what we can do. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by no-backup
    Thanks for the reply gazzak. I did buy a new surge protector and the problem is still there. I thought it only rebooted if I was downloading a large file because it could be on the internet and you could be surfing and it never seems to reboot no matter how long you are on but tonight I was burning a dvd and the computer rebooted on me and I wasn't even on the internet. So I think mabey you are onto something with the burner. Since this was built the place that built it put seals on the case and if I open it to unplug the cables my warranty is void. I am going to call them on Monday and see what we can do. Thanks for the help.
    What should actually happen is the place you bought it from should take the minidump file created and debug it to try and get an idea of where to start.
    simply rebuilding the computer is not the way to resolve an issue like this. I mean how do you know they only reused the DVD burner? How do we know the parts they used to rebuild it were new and or good? If it were me I would take it back to them and demand they either fix it or give me back my money so you can buy a computer from someone that will actually help you when you have a problem.

Are you connecting anything else to the system like a printer? other usb device?
    What type of internet connection?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by no-backup
    the idea of a "PC" ,,is open archatecture , and was designed like that by IBM ,,,you are legaly allowed to fit a XXXX card ,,or are you saying that every upgrade u have to have on your machine has to be done by the supplier ,,,,at there set labor rate???

Quote Originally Posted by xsrvx
    What should actually happen is the place you bought it from should take the minidump file created and debug it to try and get an idea of where to start.
    simply rebuilding the computer is not the way to resolve an issue like this. I mean how do you know they only reused the DVD burner? How do we know the parts they used to rebuild it were new and or good? If it were me I would take it back to them and demand they either fix it or give me back my money so you can buy a computer from someone that will actually help you when you have a problem.

Are you connecting anything else to the system like a printer? other usb device?
    What type of internet connection?
    I have an hp all in one printer hooked up on usb and nothing else. I have dsl high speed internet using a speedstream modem with an ethernet connection. Thanks for the reply and after 3 months I hope this thing can be resolved. Thanks again for the help.