Blue Screen of Death!!! Win XP Pro SP2
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blue Screen of Death!!! Win XP Pro SP2

Angry Blue Screen of Death!!! Win XP Pro SP2

Hello once again guys/gals, I've got a good stumper for ya. My computer crashes about every, oh, 4 hours or so if I'm doing anything on it. if I leave it running idle, it's fine and dandy. Sometimes it will crash during games (GTA3, Black&White, 4x4 EVO 2, etc.) and normally gives me the Blue Screen of Death error for "ati2dvag.dll", sometimes while browsing the web, it will crash with "Win32k.sys" as the problem. my specs are as follows:
    -----------------------------------------------
    Board: Asus K7M 1.04
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.00 07/25/00
    256 Megabytes Installed Memory

61.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    48.35 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-7500 [CD-ROM drive]
    MITSUMI CR-4804TE [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 96147U8 [Hard drive] (61.47 GB) -- drive 0, s/n N808NB3C, rev BAC51KJ0, SMART Status: Healthy

900 megahertz AMD Athlon

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

GeCube RADEON 9200 SE 128MB Game Buster [Display adapter]
    GeCube RADEON 9200 SE 128MB Game Buster - Secondary [Display adapter]
    CTX 16.3 [Monitor] (16.3"vis)

Creative Game Port
    Creative SB Live! series

HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Saitek Cyborg Force Rumble Pad
    Saitek Cyborg Force Rumble Pad (HID)
    HID Keyboard Device
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Root Enumerator
    USB Root Hub

---------------------------------------------------------------

all information copied and pasted from Belarc Advisor. any more information needed is available, it's basicly an HP XL768 with XP, an ATI Radeon 9200 SE, an SBLive! 5.1, and an extra gamepad.

Thanks!
    My specs: 900 MHz AMD T-Bird, Asus K7M Mobo., 256 MB RAM (two 128 MB Kingston SD PC-100), GeCube Radeon 9200 SE 128mb (drivers were impossible to find...still crashes because of them every now and then...i think its them...), Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, new high-speed USB 2.0 card, dual 60 GB HDD's for the heck of it (NTFS), XP Pro SP 2, Mozilla Firefox (Spread Firefox!), single-barrel carberator, Saitek P2500 Rumbleforce, (Yes, the system is dated, but it fits my budget!) - Sockhatguy

Angry Same thing, different error...

GRRR! Same blue screen of death, just now I'm getting page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

and no specifics on whats wrong.

its almost to the point of letting some friends take my hardware and send it to battlebots...I'm tired of this thing.

Sockhatguy
    My specs: 900 MHz AMD T-Bird, Asus K7M Mobo., 256 MB RAM (two 128 MB Kingston SD PC-100), GeCube Radeon 9200 SE 128mb (drivers were impossible to find...still crashes because of them every now and then...i think its them...), Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, new high-speed USB 2.0 card, dual 60 GB HDD's for the heck of it (NTFS), XP Pro SP 2, Mozilla Firefox (Spread Firefox!), single-barrel carberator, Saitek P2500 Rumbleforce, (Yes, the system is dated, but it fits my budget!) - Sockhatguy

Hi,
    First Eliminate the possibility of a Faulty Hardware:
    Check Memory - http://www.memtest.org/ - let it run for at lease 6 or 7 Passes.
    Check Temprature and Fan - Using MBM http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ .
    Don't worry about the program not being updated. Your mainboard is Failrly old . Check if the problem Occour when There is high temprature or sudden drop of Fans. The program Has the ability to Probe every x Seconds and to write to a variety of log file formats.

Have you run - SFC?

I will be lurking here,
    Gabriel

Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Which ati driver version ? & tried others ?

Hmm, didn't think of temps....

Thanks Gabriel and Confus-ed for the replys, to answer your q's, I have run a memory diagnostic from Microsoft, turned it off after 32 passes with no errors. my temps are: case: 38*c, cpu: -48*c (?), sensor3: 0*c. and it lists the voltage, RPM of fans, and cpu mhz.

ATI drivers: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-062-040929a-018115C, newest drivers, still having problems. Should my video card be listing with/as a secondary? it all seems strange, first time to ever have a problem like this.

anywho, I'm off to work, thanks for the help! I'll keep any other errors listed and up-to-date on this thread.

two more crashes, win32k.sys. GRR!

anyone know of any good, tall bridges that I can chunk this thing?

The Win32k.sys errors you are getting all point to that age old favourite resource allocations & 'iffy' drivers again .. if it was alright before changing driver then I'd uninstall & re-install 'old' & wait for the next new driver (these newest ones are '.net' driven which imho makes them extra likely to go wrong )

Updated mainboard bios here might maybe help ? (if there is one !?!)

Should my video card be listing with/as a secondary?
    Usually they show this way, belerac seems convinced you've got the dual output variety anyway, do you have say tv out or s-video as well as a standard vga ? (some other 'orrifice' anyway for another screen device to connect to ?) The whole series of these cards is made this way, it fools folks sometimes when they find two vga adapters showing in device manager when there's only physically one & one display.

Hrmms...intwesting...well, I think I'm just gonna shoot the darn thing to put it out of its memory...

The old drivers were worse. I get another 2 hours of playtime between crashes with the new drivers. so I can do stuff for apporoximately 3 hours or so...and then *Poof*

The Vid Card does have S-Video as well as vga...I was just wondering if it was because I had multiple drivers for it or whatnot...user errors... this is my first system to fully modify, a system with some actual power to it compared to what I had (488 P2...ack!)

I have some downtime coming so I'm thinking of looking for some more slot-A or socket-A Motherboards so I can still use AMDs. (I'm not much for pentium). any suggestions? I want to run up to 3.0 GHz on the processor, and have at least a Gig of ram either DDR or PC-100.

ACK! SAFE MODE crash...physical memory dump...just cranked up...(barely, took forever) 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x82697850, 0x826979c4, 0x805fa7a8) something else to look up....GRRR!

Sockhatguy

Maybe I have an answer ?.. .. took me a bit .. but I applied this one to a machine yesterday with almost continual reboots with variations of win32k.sys errors (he had maximum uptime of about 1/2 an hour)

VIA Arena - note re AGP gart & xp sp2

To deliver a quality user experience, a universal standard for AGP drivers, UAGP35, is being adopted by all chipset vendors with AGP 3.5-capable hardware. VIA have worked with Microsoft on this issue for a long time and continue to do so. There are many VIA AGP3.0/3.5 devices which are supported in SP2. VIA's AGP driver contained in the latest Hyperion 4in1 drivers will work properly with Windows SP2, however, the default Microsoft driver is recommended. Please follow the advice below, depending on whether you are installing WinXP and SP2 on a clean system or installing SP2 on top of WinXP SP1.
    So far Billy's 'recommend' is actually working ! (try it out & report back please, I haven't tried this enough times yet to decide whether its 'good' or 'indifferent' advice yet )

Thanks Confus-ed for the info, though I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right driver or not...

it's a bit over my head with the VIA drivers...I'm reading up and keeping myself educated with this, but I'm still afraid of zapping all this...but even if I do I'll still be looking foreward to packing it with fireworks.

Alrighty, I am not sure if I have the VIA 4in1 drivers or what...should I go ahead and d/l-install them? just to give them a try? or should I go through with the "system upgrade" listed on those instructions and turn of my previous VIA CPU to AGP Controller drivers? (which mine would be the AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller....correct?)

I am quite compfused. I'm also starting a new job soon, and I've been cramming information about it also, so I might need to defrag my brain before I attempt to act like I know what I'm doing here...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockhatguy
    .. Alrighty, I am not sure if I have the VIA 4in1 drivers or what...should I go ahead and d/l-install them? just to give them a try? or should I go through with the "system upgrade" listed on those instructions and turn of my previous VIA CPU to AGP Controller drivers? (which mine would be the AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller....correct?)..
    Ed's simplified 'destructions' :- if you haven't got sp1 just install the hyperions (aka 4-in-1s), but untick the 'agp gart' box ... if you have them already, update to the latest set (or just re-run the latest to make sure all is as it should be) & then open device manager find your gart (so that bit above sounds like the one ) & uninstall it (don't delete or it'll find the VIA version again & not the M$ one), windows will then redect the device using its own inf ..

As an fyi hyperions are 4 part (hence why they were called 4-in-1s) this is made up of a IRQ re-map util for 9x systems, revised '.infs' for VIA chipsets 'better' than M$'s, an updated IDE driver & an updated 'gart' (Graphics Address Relocation Table ) {this works as a 'translator/buffer' between main memory & the card}

4 in 1's....

well, tried that....thank goodness I created a restore point beforehand, or I would be in deep mess right now.

reboot....password...see background and bootup...one minute later...

crash crash crash crash crash...no blue screen...but a black screen with a blank white cursor that flashes and does not take input. solution: reboot while cramming my F8 key into the bottom plate of the keyboard, restore to last good working condition...close to same problem but XP "found new hardware"...my video card and monitor. re-installed ATI Catalyst drivers for my ATI video card (ATI Radeon 9200 SE) and everything worked fine for an hour. then another blue screen. so I've been taking it easy on the system for the last 2 hours, just listening to internet radio and cleaning the office. has not crashed yet (knocks on wood). anyone else have any idea of what else it might be?

I don't have the original video card or any of the original disks that came with the computer (bought it off Ebay with the 9200, upgraded everything else myself) The computer ran fine when I first got it, I swapped the video card out with a GeForce 4 just to see what the GF4 could do...not much, system started crashing then. uninstalled software and then re-installed the ATI 9200 and have had problems ever since.

I'm tempted to Ebay around for a new Mobo & Processor, I need a Socket A for AMD, and a nice new AMD processor. I don't want to pay for brand-new stuff. but I want something that I can still have fun with when I want to play GTA3.

PS - If I were to upgrade to a new Mobo and Processor, what software would I have to go through for the upgrade? would XP recognize it? would I be able to reuse everything else that I already have? I'm in the grey when it comes to that major of an upgrade.

thanks for all the help guys/gals, and everyone else!

Sockhatguy

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Did you have these problems before service pack 2 update?

If you have another hard drive, do a clean install. Is your current drive partitioned?

Re-install Windows, all drivers. Install one program/game and test. Keep installing and test.

My first guess is service pack 2, and or a rogue file from the geforce card. A clean install will test that theory.
    Sergeant WOTPP

hmmm....

Had problems before SP2,
    I have an extra hard drive, it does need to be wiped, but also I do not have xp disks or anything, it came on the system. is there a way to burn a disk for the install?

two crashes since the last post, received this form the BSOD: 0x0000008e (0xc000001d, 0x8054af41, 0xeec805a4, 0x00000000)
    and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" 0x0000000a (0xff2125c6, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x804dbbdc)

microsoft error reporting reports it as a device driver, but has no clue which one...thank you microsoft.

I'd be more than happy to wipe the system and do a clean install, but I don't have an XP disk or any system restore, I do need to work on making one, I just have not gotten around to it because it crashes in the middle of my research for the disks.

Thanks for the info!

Sockhatguy

Quote Originally Posted by Sockhatguy
    .. two crashes since the last post, received this form the BSOD: 0x0000008e (0xc000001d, 0x8054af41, 0xeec805a4, 0x00000000)
    and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" 0x0000000a (0xff2125c6, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x804dbbdc)

microsoft error reporting reports it as a device driver, but has no clue which one...thank you microsoft...
    So apologies for not specifically telling you to make a restore point (I'm trying to fix stuff not break it !)

.. On this, well guess what I'm gonna say - chipset patches are suposed to fix this & thats what we've just tried (part of the hyperions) ..

..A clean install will test that theory ..
    Not here talking about 'my theory' - but I think at this point, my technical diagnosis is 'FUBARed install' & I think this is the way to go to end your pain..(at least maybe try an in-place re-install ? - but most likely some uninstall programme has left something it shouldn't so that mightn't help)