End of support for AVG 6 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: End of support for AVG 6

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    ..i have my xp cd (i386 dir) on my hard drive ,,,,it could not / would not read drivers.cab
    What are you moaning about Freddy ? - Sounds to me like it correctly identified the biggest virus of 'em all !?! Windoze

A bit more seriously (only 'just' mind ) .. I've had 'no dice' with it either (same kind of stuff !), I've been happy enough with AVG as my 'lightweight gets most stuff for free pretty good' client for quite some time now most users who have any idea about safe surfing will be fine & dandy with this ..

Windoze should have this bundled {AV} (despite all those stupid 'anti-trust' lawsuits flying about) - its an NOS's (network operating system) job to do this, & I for one thought I & everyone should get that, sadly the dumbarse legislators can't see the wood for the trees ..

(of course they may be looking in a forrest for the wood, but silly Billy thinks that's a collection of domains, so no wonder they can't find what I wood like 'em to do - )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    What are you moaning about Freddy ? - Sounds to me like it correctly identified the biggest virus of 'em all !?! Windoze

A bit more seriously (only 'just' mind ) .. I've had 'no dice' with it either (same kind of stuff !), I've been happy enough with AVG as my 'lightweight gets most stuff for free pretty good' client for quite some time now most users who have any idea about safe surfing will be fine & dandy with this ..

Windoze should have this bundled {AV} (despite all those stupid 'anti-trust' lawsuits flying about) - its an NOS's (network operating system) job to do this, & I for one thought I & everyone should get that, sadly the dumbarse legislators can't see the wood for the trees ..

(of course they may be looking in a forrest for the wood, but silly Billy thinks that's a collection of domains, so no wonder they can't find what I wood like 'em to do - )

.. I've had 'no dice' with it either (same kind of stuff !

i,ve got a copy of msdos 6 or even 6,2 ,,,that hhas microsoft AVG built in ,,,,can,t seem to find any updates on there site tho ,,,

I've used AVG Free since the beginning of the year - "Begone Norton Anti-Virus, Oh Devil Spawn!" - and had no problem with it.

Monthly online scans from 'legit' AV sites have shown no incursions that AVG missed, while ZoneAlarm, the addition of trojan/malware-hunter 'a-squared' and various spyware killers (note: ALL FREE) have, I think, resulted in as safe as machine as I can hope for - and still using less room and resources than many retail AV programs.

I'd happily stick with AVG - providing they don't jump the shark with the next version and make it "better" - in that horrible way so familiar to us all....

AVG Anti-Virus FREE Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Anti-Virus FREE is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Anti-Virus FREE is easy-to-use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements).

Highlights include:

- Automatic update functionality
    - The AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
    - The AVG E-mail Scanner, which protects your e-mail
    - The AVG On-Demand Scanner, which allows the user to perform scheduled and manual tests
    - Free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product
    - AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
    - Great customer satisfaction!

Note:

A free registration is required to run AVG. You will be emailed a registration code and can not install it without it. The installer does provide a link during installation to get your code.

Registration and Download:
    AVG Free Edition 7 Build 279

For those interested.
    TechZ

Saw this site as noted above but I don't think it leads you to AVG 7 Free download.

The page does mention the Free version and does go on at some length about AVG 7 Professional (the pay version), but clicking the 'Next >>' link takes you to a 'AVG 6.0 Basic Free License Agreement' and not one for AVG 7 Free.

Moreover, if I am to understand the response from Grisoft (CZ), a routine update of AVG 6 should result in a notification when the Gold version of 7 is available. Failing that, a more likely link on the site itself (current mentions of AVG 7 Free still discuss Beta versions).

So - are we sure about this TechZ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    AVG Anti-Virus FREE Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Anti-Virus FREE is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Anti-Virus FREE is easy-to-use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements).

Highlights include:

- Automatic update functionality
    - The AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
    - The AVG E-mail Scanner, which protects your e-mail
    - The AVG On-Demand Scanner, which allows the user to perform scheduled and manual tests
    - Free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product
    - AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files
    - Great customer satisfaction!

Note:

A free registration is required to run AVG. You will be emailed a registration code and can not install it without it. The installer does provide a link during installation to get your code.

Registration and Download:
    AVG Free Edition 7 Build 279

For those interested.
    TechZ
    tis the one mth trial version of avg7

Quote Originally Posted by bazcook
    ..So - are we sure about this TechZ?
    So I just did all that & I think your conclusions are better than the 'Techz News Channel'

Quote Originally Posted by the registration page & EULA for AVG 'free'
    AVG 6.0 Basic Free Edition License Agreement
    Must be breakdown in editorial control !

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    tis the one mth trial version of avg7
    Well that's what I thought too, until I downloaded it & then the install says avg 6 !!! (build 781 - which now I look is earlier than my installed version which is 782)

As a side note in the commercial products, we've been using and installing TrendMicro's Officescan product for Small Business for months now and have been very happy with it.

It has a setting for hourly update checks and a very small memory footprint. It is server distributed so no need to update any clients as the server handles it all, including a somewhat useful anti-spyware engine.

All that for $21 a seat, then 15% of that annually. Can't beat it with a stick.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

So I guess we don't get our knickers in a twist and must simply wait for our current AVG to tell us v7 Free is ready for download.

I just pray the new version doesn't jump the shark and that its not 'improved' it in altogether the wrong ways...

It's rarely software I want to beat with a stick - rather, it's the people who build the programmes...
    Last edited by bazcook; October 28th, 2004 at 11:11 AM.

I'm just one hungry person doing the news -ed!

AVG 6 Update and AVG 7 Free now available?

Yesterday (9 Oct) my AVG 6 updated with a particularly large file (over 3000 KB) and its currently running as version 6.0.792.

Meanwhile, it appears that AVG 7 Free (v7.289) is now available -

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

I haven't given it a go yet - just about to - so wish me luck....

just downloaded and installed ver. 7...it is good =8^-)

The setup was more long-winded than I remember AVG 6's being and there are a couple of odd setup screens (nothing one can't tweak later in Control Centre), but otherwise the installation went fine for AVG 7 Free.

Rather than uninstall AVG 6 and then install 7, I let the program do that - and it may have saved me some angst, as it recognised the old AVG 6, kept it's license and then removed the old program. If I had done a clean install, I wonder if I might have had to get a new registration code sent?

It updated the reference file during installation (and did so again today during my scheduled update/scan time) and the setup process allows you to register for the AVG online Forum.

I did try and access the new Reference Guide and Firewall Settings Guide on the download site, but these pdfs steadfastly refused to work. A note to Grisoft has gone out on that.

A different look to both the Control Centre and Program Control screens, but nothing too bizarre nor XP-fluffy.

The new Splash Screen was sufficiently irritating, but wouldn't you know, somebody has already posted a solution -

Run > Regedit >
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

R-click AVG_CC > Modify. Click and add /nosplash so it looks like this -

... C:\\PROGRA~1\\Grisoft\\AVGFRE~1\\avgcc.exe /STARTUP /nosplash

I think it drags a bit more on resources than AVG 6, but nowhere near as bad as *some*.

I had to rebuild my laptop today so installed AVG 7 fresh.... I like it. A lot more configurable than 6 and more pleasing on the eye....

Lets hope its as good as v 6.0!

"Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"