Quick thanks...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick thanks...

Quick thanks...

...to those who post Not Safe For Work threads in the forums or in other vaguely related threads without the proper warnings.

That is twice now I've had to explain what the hell was on my screen to coworkers.

I work in a company financed by the government. They don't take this kind of stuff lightly.

Thanks a lot.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    ...to those who post Not Safe For Work threads in the forums or in other vaguely related threads without the proper warnings.

That is twice now I've had to explain what the hell was on my screen to coworkers.

I work in a company financed by the government. They don't take this kind of stuff lightly.

Thanks a lot.
    Which two instances...?

The pumkin thread?
    I have to say adept, most of "techville" I would think would not be safe for work. Imagine if your bosses found out about all your posting? You know: the games, the WOTPP? To tell the truth, I have often wondered how you get away with it. Not trying to be so negative, just my opinion.

I don't hide my participation in these forums and other online places from my employer and would hate to have to start avoiding a place because it had grown unsafe for work browsing.

In fact, that's how I keep up to date on various fields and am respected by my peers for doing so.

The Lounge is just for fun. If I can't visit from work, then it becomes useless to me.

Thanks for asking about my work habits.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Ah, so you took it as an insult anyway, didn't you?
    I did say "techville", which includes the lounge adept. You are so darn "touchy" lately.

Hey man, Techville is for goofing off, there's nothing to be respected by your peers for by visiting anything at all in Techville.

In fact, that's how I keep up to date on various fields and am respected by my peers for doing so.
    Let me ask you something Adept, if you needed to carve a pumpkin for your work I could see the pumpkin thread, but for any other reason, it seems to me more like leisure time...am I right??? And don’t tell me google searching for countless mindtrap riddles and dangling points for all fight over is a “productive” part of your work day…get real man!

(trying as hard as I can not to offend... )

...Imagine if your bosses found out about all your posting? You know: the games, the WOTPP? To tell the truth, I have often wondered how you get away with it...
    Hard not to see this as slightly insulting, I would think.

Touchy? Here's how I see it.

Humour didn't work here.

Politeness didn't work either.

Deference never stood a chance.

Maybe a more upfront attitude will not work either, but at least I won't have to feel like I actually have to care about it.

If I feel a topic is worth posting about now, there's still a good chance I won't just to avoid the endless bickering that usually follows.

Case in point: this thread in about a half-hour.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Uh-oh, hope this wasn't about my pumpkin pic I posted! If it was, sorry!

Banned
    2 tablespoons of cinnamon,
    and 2 or 3 egg whites,
    a half a stick of butter, melted.
    Stick it all in a bowl baby,
    stir it with a wooden spoon,
    mix in a cup of flour.
    You''l be in heaven soon

Say everybody have you seen my balls they're big and salty and brown.
    If you ever need a quick pick me up, just stick my balls in your mouth.
    Oh! Suck on my chocolate salty balls, put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em.
    Suck on my chocolate salty balls, they're packed vitamins,
    and good for you, so suck on balls.

pour in a cup of unsweetened chocolate,
    and a half a cup of brandy
    then throw in a bag or two of sugar,
    and just a pinch of vanilla,
    grease up the cookie sheet.
    Cause I hate when my balls stick!
    then preheat the oven to 350, and give that spoon a lick!

Say everybody have you seen my balls they're big and salty and brown.
    Oh! Suck on my chocolate salty balls, put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em.
    Suck on my chocolate salty balls, they're packed full of goodness,
    and high in fiber, so suck on balls.

(Chef Speaking sniff, sniff, hey, wait a minute, what's that smell.
    It smells like something's burning.
    Well, that don't bother me none, as long as I get my rent paid on Friday.
    Baby, you better get back in the kitchen, cause I got a sneakn' suspition.
    Oh man baby, baby, you just burnt my balls.
    My balls are on fire, come on, my balls are burning, gimme some water pour some water on 'em, o goodness, blow
    on them, do something

Say everybody have you seen my balls they're big and salty and brown. (they're on fire baby)
    Oh! Suck on my chocolate salty balls, put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em. (Put 'em out, blow on 'em.)
    suck on my balls baby,
    suck on my balls baby, suck on my red hot salty chocolate balls.
    Woo, woo, suck on my balls (blow, blow, blow)

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Hey man, Techville is for goofing off, there's nothing to be respected by your peers for by visiting anything at all in Techville...
    The filters in place here would seem to agree with that.

I tell you, there are less and less reasons for me to hang out here, since that is pretty much what I like about this place.

What is so hard about giving a little warning?

Why does it have to turn into a friggin' argument again on an off-topic tangent?

I have to agree....a quick notice that some are unsafe for work is a good idea. I'm sure alot of people browse from work...and I dunno for sure about Adept...but I'm guessing for the most part he means some of the pics......
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

Quote Originally Posted by PuterGeekGirl
    I have to agree....a quick notice that some are unsafe for work is a good idea. I'm sure alot of people browse from work...and I dunno for sure about Adept...but I'm guessing for the most part he means some of the pics......
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    The filters in place here would seem to agree with that.

I tell you, there are less and less reasons for me to hang out here, since that is pretty much what I like about this place.

What is so hard about giving a little warning?

Why does it have to turn into a friggin' argument again on an off-topic tangent?
    Well...what ever. If I can't get you to agree with me I suppose I should just do what you do...ramble on, and on, and on...

aye, im one at work

I would have to agree with Adept as well.

There's only one problem I have with putting "Not safe for work" in a thread title. The person who starts the thread has no control over what people post in his or her thread. Is it then that person's responsibility to monitor his or her thread in order to change the title of the thread, and can regular users change the title themselves? Or should a moderator have to scan all threads and make the changes?

I would think that if a person starts a thread with the intent of that thread becoming "not safe for work" (i.e. the Friday threads), then he or she should put "not safe for work" to be polite and to warn others. Also if someone posts something in a thread that was not originally meant to be a "not safe for work" thread (i.e. the pumpkin thread), then that person should post a link to the picture, instead of the actual picture, with a warning.

And as far as browsing Techville while at work... When I've working on something in my office on my computer, I normally leave a browser with the forums open. When I need a quick two minute break from whatever I'm working on, I'll flip over to Windrivers and do a quick refresh...
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."